Thursday, February 9, 2017

Some bookish happiness...

Sometimes I just want a book that not only makes me smile, but that ends with a happy sigh. Drops of Gold does both. Written by Sarah M. Eden, this Regency romance has endearing characters, a nice dose of humor, and a happy ending. Is it perfect? No. Is it predictable? Yes. Do either of those things lessen its enjoyability quotient? Not for me.


Want a brief summary?  Newly orphaned and now penniless, 19-year-old Marion applies for the job of governess at Farland Meadows with a forged letter of recommendation and an assumed name. As Mary Wood, her job is to take care of young Caroline Jonquil, whose widowed father, Layton, is haunted not only by grief, but by guilt. Marion does her best to bring joy to both Caroline and her father, never intending to fall in love with Layton Jonquil--not just because he's her employer, but because she has secrets of her own. Only Layton is a hard man to resist. I bet you can guess the rest. The thing that makes it fun is that Layton's six brothers show up in some of Eden's other novels.

So, there you have it. My happy book of the week. The one that made me smile and sigh at the end. But as much as I liked Drops of Gold, I have to admit that I liked Eden's The Kiss of a Stranger and Seeking Persephone even better. So you might want to start with those.

Happy Reading!

14 comments:

  1. I should read her books. I love happy regency romances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eden's books are that. They're also usually humorous, and her characters are never shallow or one-dimensional, which I appreciate.

      Delete
  2. Awww, I need a happy book soon :) Glad you enjoyed this one. I haven't read a regency romance in sooo long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame my love of these kinds of novels on Jane Austen! :) She did them the best; but Eden's novels aren't a bad substitute.

      Delete
  3. Yes, we need books like this at times. :) I haven't read a Regency romance for such a long time! Reading your review makes me want to pick one up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly a lot to choose from; I guess everyone loves a Regency romance once in awhile. )

      Delete
  4. Yes! I love me some bookish happiness :) Sounds like this one was perfect for you. I have to admit to having a fondness for Regency romances - they always makes me smile in the end, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're perfect reads when I'm running tired and/or feeling a little stressed out. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not usually a romance reader, but I do love Regency mysteries. And yes, happy endings are something we can all use at times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regency mysteries are good,too! I can always read and enjoy those. :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoy Sarah Eden's books for the exact reasons you do. They're fun, easy reads with predictably happy endings. I definitely need those kinds of books once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't live on a steady diet of them, but I do love having them around for when I need a light-hearted happy read. :)

      Delete
  7. I think many of us need books like this from time to time. This sounds so delightful.

    ReplyDelete