Thursday, February 2, 2017

Lost by Michael Robotham

I slump back in bed, smelling bandages and dried blood. Holding up my hand I look at the gauze bandage, trying to wiggle the missing finger. How can I not remember?... For me there has never been such a thing as forgetting, nothing is hazy or vague or frayed at the edges. I hoard memories like a miser counts his gold. Every scrap of moment is kept as long as it has some value....Now for the first time I've forgotten something truly important.

Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz is fished out of the Thames with his ring finger missing, a gunshot would to his leg, and no memory of how he got there, or what he was investigating when he got shot. He thinks it might have to do with Mickey Carlyle, a little girl who went missing three years earlier, but he can't remember anything else. Luckily, he has Ali Barba, a fellow police detective, and psychologist Joe O'Loughlin to help him follow the clues, retrace his steps, and figure it out.

Whenever I'm in a bookish funk, I know there are certain authors I can count on to pull me out. Michael Robotham is one of those authors. I like his main characters, and he always weaves together a complex page-turning mystery. And his books never disappoint. Lost is the second book in his Joe O'Loughlin mysery series, and is told from Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz's POV, which made for an interesting change from his other books which are told from Joe's POV.  And while I've been reading (and enjoying!) these books out of order, it's probably best if you read them through from the start. My favorite so far is Say You're Sorry, but I've liked every Robotham novel I've read. Which is why he's become one of my go-to authors.

Happy Reading!

Another favorite Robotham read:
      Shatter 

16 comments:

  1. :) He is one of my go-to authors as well! And I especially like the one where Vincent has a big role. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vincent's a great character; I wish he always had a slightly larger role. :)

      Delete
  2. I love go to authors. I used to read books in this genre and found that it didn't really matter what order you read them in. I liked that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, too, because I rarely find myself reading them in order. :)

      Delete
  3. Michael Robotham is one of the best thriller writers in the world, as far as I am concerned. I am glad you enjoyed this one, but then again, there are no bad books in the series about Ruiz and McLoughlin :-)

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I didn't know you liked Robotham, too. :D And I totally agree; he's the best!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by this author. Need to check out his books at the library. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like good mystery/thrillers set in England I think you'll like his books.

      Delete
  5. I really need to read this author. I started one by him, but didn't manage to get very far into it before it came due at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read this author before, but sounds like he's worth checking out. I love that he's your go-to when you are in a reading funk. I have those books, too :) Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need some good go-to books in our lives, don't we? :)

      Delete
  7. Glad you're enjoying them! Isn't it great to find go-to books and series that you can count on? It's what makes reading such a comforting endeavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! My go-to books may have changed over the years, but I'm very glad I've always had some good authors to turn to when life gets a little too stressful. :)

      Delete
  8. Don't know the author, but I like the premise and the opening paragraph and the cast of characters. It's nice to have authors you can always rely on--Nevada Barr is like that for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen her books, but have never read any. I'll have to give her a try. :)

      Delete