Monday, February 6, 2017

A bookish journey to South Sudan...

"After two hours, the sounds of attack faded. I took stock of my situation. I had just turned 13. I was naked. I carried no food or water. My village had been destroyed. I had become separated from my mother and siblings. Armed men who spoke a foreign tongue combed the forests and grasslands, and if they found me, they would most likely kill me. The only good thing I could imagine was that I might be safe for awhile ... It was then that I realized the man who sat beside me was not my father."

God Grew Tired of Us is the memoir of John Bul Dau, one of the Lost Boys of Sudan. His Dinka village was attacked by the djellabas, Arab militia, when he was just 13. He escaped to a refugee camp in Ethiopia almost 300 miles away. Then, when Ethiopia erupted into its own civil war, John and tens of thousands of other Sudanese refugees were forced to flee again, this time to Kenya. There in the Kakuma Refugee Camp, John went to school where he learned to read and speak English and even earned his high school diploma. He was brought to America in 2001 where he had to learn to adapt to an entirely new way of life. John's refugee story is a truly amazing one. He survived the bullets and beatings of his enemies, hunger, thirst, disease, fear, and even crocodiles in his long journey from Duk Payuel in South Sudan to Syracuse, New York. And throughout it all, he never lost his faith in God or his hope for a better life.

I loved this book. It's very well-written, and it gave me a much better understanding of and empathy for refugees throughout the world.  John Bul Dau has such a resilient spirit. I really admired  his optimism, and his gratitude, and the way he and the other Lost Boys worked together and helped each other to survive. Even in the midst of heartbreaking circumstances, John stayed true to the values of his Dinka heritage. And he never gave up. That's what makes his story so remarkable and inspiring...and so worth reading.
"In the 19 years since that August night, as one of the 'lost boys' of Sudan, I have witnessed my share of death and despair ... (but) I know that I have been blessed and that I have been kept alive for a purpose. They call me a Lost Boy, but let me assure you, God has found me."
Happy Reading!

22 comments:

  1. I always find it very good to read about people who were less fortunate that I am in where they live. These stories make me more thankful for my own situation, but also filled with admiration for the hardships some people have to overcome.

    These are also important stories because so many people consider all immigrants to be criminals, terrorists and people who are looking for a handout, without knowing anything about the situations why people leave their country behind.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It helps to get outside yourself and your own little narrow corner of the world and gain a bigger perspective. I think that's why I seek out books like this. It's important to know how others in the world live, and what they're hopes and dreams are, and that we're really not so different from them after all.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful review. It sounds like a very timely book right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly gives you a heartbreaking view of what life can be like if you're a refugee!

      Delete
  3. The phenomenon of boy soldiers is horrifying and any successful escape story from that situation is inspiring. Thanks for this review, and I will keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John's story is an amazing one, and his faith and perseverance are very inspiring.

      Delete
  4. Sounds beautiful. I've seen this one around. Glad to know it's a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it a lot. It reminded me a little of that movie The Good Lie with Reese Witherspoon and those four Sudanese refugees. Have you seen that one?

      Delete
  5. This sounds like both an emotional and thought-provoking story. Thanks for your great review, Lark! I'll keep this book in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is good, too, which is a plus, because some memoirs can kind of drag. But not this one. :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't even heard of this one. Sounds like a good and timely read. Have you read A LONG WALK TO WATER by Linda Sue Park? It's fiction, but also a moving story about Sudan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of it; I'll have to look for it at the library next time I'm there. Park is a good writer. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow that does sound good. Stories like this are a reminder of how resilient people can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. And resilient is the right word for John Bul Dau.

      Delete
  8. Wow! This book sounds so interesting and thought-provoking. Your review really makes me want to read it - so I'm adding it to my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review, Lark! It's amazing that someone can have such strength! Very inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's one of the better books that I've read so far this year. :)

      Delete
  10. Years ago I read a memoir about a Sudanese boy/man. It was a very moving story. So tragic and yet he came through it. I will have to look for this one. I think we all need to read books like this and hear their stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a memorable read...and an inspiring one, too. And you're right, these are stories that need to be told...and read. :)

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a really powerful read. I like the juxtaposition between the somber title and the triumphant cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It epitomizes the book, because John Bul Dau does triumph in the end, even after all the hard things he has to endure.

      Delete