Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A bookish treat...


Title:  The Bookshop on the Corner
Author:  Jenny Colgan
First line:  The problem with good things that happen is that very often they disguise themselves as awful things.
The protagonist:  Nina Redmond, a shy 29-year-old single librarian who describes herself as "the quiet one, on the sidelines, observing things through the medium of the novels she loved to read." Her world consists of books, and more books. But then they close her library and Nina has no idea what she's going to do next. Unless she opens up her own small bookshop in an old converted van...

My thoughts:  This is a novel about books and reading, and daring to follow your dreams, AND it's set in Scotland where the men are 'boys' and the women are 'lasses'. What's not to love? I've never read Jenny Colgan before, but I'd definitely read her again. This book is a delight, from Nina's early mishaps driving the van, to the slightly motley yet oddly engaging assortment of characters she meets along the way, to her own unexpected romance. There's even a dog named Parsley. The whole thing is a lot of fun. In fact, I think I'd happily live in this book if I could. I didn't even mind the predictable bits. I just lost myself in the Scottish landscape and enjoyed each and every page. So, if you like bookshops and happy endings, give this one a try.

Happy Reading!

Similar read:



16 comments:

  1. This one sounds delightful. It's the second good review I've seen for it. I'll have to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! It's such a fun read. (And it would make a perfect Christmas present for anyone who loves books and happy endings.)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I really want to read it. It sounds like such fun. I love books set in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I should do a list some time of books with Scottish settings. :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds fascinating and I love that first line. Will keep this book in mind. Thanks for sharing, Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh that sounds like a fun read! And what a great opening line. I'll be looking out for this one for my 2017 TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read it...and that you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The ever-growing, neverending infinite list! :D

      Delete
  6. Oh, my... That first line is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? And the rest of the book is equally good. :)

      Delete
  7. 부안출장
    보령출장마사지
    송산동출장
    진주출장
    별양동출장마사지
    송정동출장마사지

    ReplyDelete
  8. 청주출장
    팔달출장마사지
    금정동출장
    평창출장
    강릉출장마사지
    탄현동출장마사지

    ReplyDelete
  9. 익산출장
    관양동출장마사지
    완주출장
    대구출장
    동안출장마사지
    거모동출장마사지

    ReplyDelete
  10. 부림동출장
    무안출장마사지
    광진출장
    과천동출장
    의령출장마사지
    원곡동출장마사지

    ReplyDelete