This week's theme for TOP TEN TUESDAY, which is a fun weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, is about favorite bookish memories. As a lifelong reader, I have many. So it was kind of hard to choose which ones to highlight here. But I settled on these five:
|Author Jane Yolen|
1. Having lunch with Jane Yolen! I was attending a writer's conference in Chautauqua, and she was one of the speakers, and I got to eat lunch with her the next day. She's very personable and down-to-earth, and she tells some great stories.
2. Getting to visit the bookstore Shakespeare & Company when I was in Paris years ago. It was awesome! Both because it's a great bookstore, and because it's in Paris.
3. Meeting Nobel Prize Winner Kip Thorne 3½ years ago, and getting him to sign my copy of his book, Black Holes & Time Warps. It's an incredibly interesting book, and a bookish moment I will never forget.
4. Reading Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile while I was actually in Egypt sailing down the Nile from Aswan to Luxor. It was an amazing trip, and made me love the book even more!
|The Nile ... as seen from our boat.|
5. Learning to read with this old copy of Fun With Dick and Jane with my Dad the summer before I started to school. (He was a schoolteacher, so he always had the summers off.) Thanks for teaching me to read, Dad...and for so much more!!!