Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Widow's House

"The reason you can't live in Riven House is because it's haunted. Why do you think I moved out? It was sucking the life force out of me. It's an unhappy place. There's a spirit there that begrudges the living their happiness. It will tear you and Jess apart. It will tear you apart."

The Hudson River Valley is where Clare Martin grew up, where she went to college, and where she met her husband, Jess. After years away, she and Jess have returned hoping that Jess will finally be able to finish his second novel here. And maybe that Clare will be inspired to start writing again, too. They move into the caretaker's cottage at Riven House, the crumbling estate of their old writing professor. But the history and haunting atmosphere of Riven House soon has Clare questioning the past, her marriage to Jess, and even her own sanity.

I loved all the Gothic elements of this Carol Goodman novel. It's part ghost story, part psychological suspense, and a very entertaining read. From the strange figure Clare keeps glimpsing in the fog, to the unexplained cries of a baby she hears late at night, Goodman really knows how to build tension. And then there's those unexpected twists at the end! I couldn't read this book fast enough. So, if you love an intense Gothic mystery, give this one a try.

Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a terrific story--premise is great and if the writing is good, it's a winner. Will put on my October list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've liked most of Goodman's novels--not all--but most. And this is definitely one of her good ones. Hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a good read. I forget sometimes that Gothic mysteries are not relegated to earlier centuries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Goodman, Barbara Michaels and Simone St. James have all written some good "gothics".

      Delete
  3. I love a good gothic story. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've liked several of Goodman's novels and am almost always in the mood for a Gothic and a haunted house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a good writer, isn't she? (And I know what you mean about haunted house stories!)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed it! This is my favorite Goodman book so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, I agree. I think I'm partial to The Lake of Dead Languages just because it was the first book of hers that I read. :)

      Delete
  6. I LOVE a good gothic story! Another book to add on to my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lark, you had me at Gothic! This sounds wonderful :) I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book has a lot going for it. I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds good! I haven't read Carol Goodman yet, but I have been meaning to. Maybe in October! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed most of her books, so she's definitely an author you should try sometime. :)

      Delete
  9. I love a good, creepy gothic and they're kind of hard to come by. To the wishlist it goes. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it's Gothic and creepy enough for you! :)

      Delete
  10. Ooooo... sometimes Gothic is just what I want. I'm going to try to remember this one for the next time the mood strikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get in moods for certain types of books all the time; good Gothic mysteries are sometimes hard to find, aren't they? :)

      Delete