Saturday, September 16, 2017

A compelling read...

Work harder than anyone.
Be the most talented.
Sacrifice everything.
And if you're lucky, maybe you will go to the Olympics.


Five gymnasts:  Grace, Leigh, Monica, Wilhelmina, and Camille
One shared goal:  to make the Olympic team

Caela Carter's Tumbling tells the story of 5 elite gymnasts over two days as they compete at the Olympic Trials and try to make their Olympic dreams come true.  Each girl has her own struggles and insecurities from weight issues (too much and too little), to pressure from coaches and parents, to her own doubts and fears, to the push and pull of having friends who are also rivals.  And I found it a compelling look into the hearts and minds of incredibly talented and hard-working athletes who give up everything for this one dream.

As for the girls, I liked all five, and I wanted them all to make the team.  It was very hard not to cheat and flip to the end of the novel early to see who made it and who didn't. But I was good and let the suspense build...and it is oddly suspenseful.  There's so much at stake for these young girls. I got caught up in the drama of each of their stories. (I'll never watch gymnasts and gymnastic competitions in the same way again!) This is a fascinating read. So well-written and unexpected. And I totally loved it.

Happy Reading!


16 comments:

  1. I love watching gymnastics so this one sounds appealing to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching gymnastics, too, which was the main reason I even checked this one out. And I'm glad I did. :)

      Delete
  2. With all the storylines out there this one sounds oddly unique and I love to hear that author made it so suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just get so caught up in the drama of the competition and rooting for each girl to do her best and make the team.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good! I used to be really into gymnastics and watching the competitions. I even tried writing my own story about gymnasts in high school. I was having such fun creating their backstories I forgot I was supposed to be writing an actual story. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D That's funny! But at least you were having fun writing.

      Delete
  4. Interesting sounding story. I like watching gymnastics in the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The motivation and persistence required to earn a place on an Olympics team is remarkable. I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out to be one of those better-than-I-expected books...which is always nice. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your will power! I would have probably skipped to the end. When a story gets tense, I often do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skip to the end of books WAY more than I should...but I was actually good this time and didn't peek once. :)

      Delete
  7. It does sound good. I figure skated until I was 17, and know the dedication and sacrifice it takes even to be middling competitive. The world of competitive sports is so intense and, in some many ways, small. It's interesting that you liked all five--I think that probably added to the suspense of who actually made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of the five girls were perfect, but Carter was able to make each girl unique, and vulnerable, and ultimately likeable in their own way, flaws and all.

      Delete
  8. I got a tiny glimpse into the world of competitive gymnastics with my 8-year-old and it was TERRIFYING! I'd rather read about it than live it, thank you very much. I'm definitely going to check this one out. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete