Thursday, May 24, 2018

Monsterrific!

Monsters in the Clouds by Russell James

She pulled a tablet from her purse and laid it on the table. With a few taps, an aerial photograph of a rainforest appeared. She pointed to a lush plateau towering over the landscape. "My organization just discovered this place, deep in a closed indigenous area in the Amazon rain forest. It's been isolated for who knows how long--the locals say since the world was created. (And) though the valley floods every year, no one climbs this plateau to escape the rising water. They say monsters rule in the clouds."



5 more reasons to read this book:

  • An expedition to the Amazonian rain forest
  • A plane crash
  • Pterosaurs
  • Giant ants
  • And paleontologist Grant Coleman and Brazilian activist Janaina Silva fighting for their lives.




They Rise by Hunter Shea

"They're not the prettiest fish in the sea. People call them ghost sharks, though they're not sharks at all, despite a distant relation. What you're seeing here is a chimaera fish, one of the oldest fish in the ocean. They've been around for over 400 million years, longer even than sharks."

5 more reasons to read this one:
  • The Bermuda Triangle
  • Mysterious fissures opening on the Ocean floor
  • A swarm of very ancient and lethal predators
  • Dead fisherman (because "deckhands on a fishing boat are always expendable".)
  • And one unforgettable and very bloody sea battle

Happy Reading!


18 comments:

  1. Monsters in the Clouds' premise is similar to Conan-Doyle's The Lost World. I also sounds perfect for a film adaptation!

    Both sound super scary (in a good way)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monsters in the Clouds did remind me a lot of The Lost World...only with a little more fast-paced action. And I would love to see a movie of it. :D

      Delete
  2. I’d rather watch the movie of this one than read the book. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Both would make a great movie! If only.... right?

      Delete
  3. I'm super intrigued by these books. They Rise sounds SCARY, but the Bermuda Triangle fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of crazy things happen in the Bermuda Triangle, and these creatures from the depths might be the craziest of all. :D

      Delete
  4. Not my usual reads but they sound like an intriguing read with those settings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like changing things up once in awhile! :D

      Delete
  5. Of the rwo I would like to try monsters in the clouds. It sounds like the paleontologist and Brazillian activist are interesting characters as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that one the best....mostly because of those two characters. :)

      Delete
  6. Adventures! I love adventure--in books. Not having anything to do with sharks in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Armchair adventures are the best. :)

      Delete
  7. I very much enjoyed both of these books. After reading They Rise, it put me off the thought of ever going out on a boat again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially in that part of the ocean! :)

      Delete
  8. I remember when I was a kid being fascinated by the Bermuda Triangle. These are not my kind of reads but I have to say they sound fun and I'm kind of intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call them my popcorn reads; I can't take a steady diet of them, but they're fun once in awhile. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for posting such a generous review. Watch for Grant and Janaina's return soon in Curse of the Viper King from Severed Press.

    ReplyDelete