Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Favorite Quotes...

Top Ten Tuesday is a fun weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's theme is Inspirational or Thought-Provoking Book Quotes. Which is a good one for me, because I've been collecting favorite quotes for years. I have a notebook full of them. The hardest part? Choosing just ten for this list. But I did my best.
Here they are:


"That was another of our fears: that Life 
wouldn't turn out to be like Literature."
Julian Barnes, The Sense of an Ending



"One's life is more formed, I sometimes think, by books than by human beings; it is out of books one learns about love and pain at secondhand. Even if we have the happy chance to fall in love, it is because we have been conditioned by what we have read, and if I had never known love at all, perhaps it was because my father's library had not contained the right books."
Graham Greene, Travels With My Aunt



"What if 'someday' is today?"
Wendy Welch, The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap



"The biggest jolt in growing up was to discover that you didn't like 
what others liked and they thought you were crazy to like what you liked." 
Dawn Powell, My Home Is Far Away



"Perhaps all dragons in our lives are really princesses
waiting to see us just once being beautiful and courageous."
Rainer Marie Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet



"It is a good thing to turn your mind upside down
now and then, like an hour-glass, to let the
particles run the other way."
Christopher Morley, The Haunted Bookshop



"The problem with anger against God is that 
it's impossible to go higher in the system to complain."
Peter Hoeg, The Quiet Girl



"Once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you 
managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. 
But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be 
the same person who walked in. That's what the storm is all about."
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore



"I knew that if I allowed my fear to overtake me, my journey was doomed. Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told. I decided I was safe. I was strong. I was brave. Nothing could vanquish me. ... I simply did not let myself become afraid. Fear begets fear. Power begets power. I willed myself to beget power. And it wasn't long before I actually wasn't afraid."
Cheryl Strayed, Wild



"...nothing is more unlike a novel than real life."
 Maria Edgeworth, Belinda


Happy Reading!

36 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these books, and the quotes are new to me. It's a lovely list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I can understand how difficult it must be to choose your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This top ten list could have easily been a top twenty list instead. :D

      Delete
  3. Love this! I agree it's hard to just name ten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melody! There are so many wise words out there in the world. It's one of the reasons I love to read so much. :)

      Delete
  4. I'd argue that we should treat every day like it's someday. Love that quote.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking over these quotes the two I like best are Haruki Murakami and Cheryl Strayed. I've read Wild but now I am curious as well about Kafka on the Shore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murakami is an interesting and fun author who writes very unique stories. Kafka on the Shore and Wild Sheep Chase are two of my favorites.

      Delete
  6. Wow! I loved this one especially -
    "Once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you
    managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over.
    But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be
    the same person who walked in. That's what the storm is all about." It's so powerful and true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of these are quite inspiring! I love the wendy Welch one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are such great quotes! I especially like the one from Wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great one? I need to memorize it and quote it everyday to make myself braver.

      Delete
  9. I don't think I've seen anyone else who has ever mentioned the book A Sense of An Ending. Bravo! I read it and was moved by it. My TTT favorite quotes this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved A Sense of An Ending. Such beautiful writing!

      Delete
  10. I am LOVING these quotes, Lark :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quote from the Quiet girl made me laugh, though I'm not entirely sure if that is appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the PERFECT TTT topic for you :) I always love the quotes you choose. They're always interesting and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I love all of these! I am trying to pick a favorite, but they all speak to me. I have only read a few of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the things I love most about books: running across such amazing thoughts and ideas. :)

      Delete
  14. I sort of struggled with this TTT as I'm not a big collector of quotes really!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "What if someday is today?" Love it and it has to be one of my favorite ones here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love that quote, too. Makes me want to tackle one of those dreams I've been putting off. :)

      Delete
  16. I enjoy collecting quotes too but I don't have them all in one journal. You've given me a good idea! These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That last one is perfect! So true. It's why I read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I like the list, especially the Murakami quote!

    ReplyDelete