Saturday, December 26, 2020

Find Me by Anne Frasier

 

"You couldn't expect a psychopath to play by the rules. Psychopaths made the rules, or at least that's what they thought."
"Reni still had mixed feelings about becoming involved in the case, but she didn't think she could sit home wondering what was going on and whether her father had or hadn't played a part in it. She needed answers. Answers probably wouldn't relieve her guilt and suffering, but being instrumental in giving victims' families closure would get her some points, at least in her own mind. Still, she was sure she would go to her grave feeling complicit. And that was okay. She was complicit."

Reni Fisher is the daughter of Benjamin Wayne Fisher, the Inland Empire Killer. When she was five, he used her to lure in the young women he killed. She hasn't seen or spoken to him since he was arrested over thirty years ago. Now he wants to see her again. In return, he's promised to tell the police where in the Mojave Desert he buried the bodies of his victims, something homicide detective Daniel Ellis wants more than anything else. Because his mother disappeared over thirty years ago, and he thinks she might have been one of Fisher's victims.

Reni's memories of those years with her father are a bit hazy, and she's not sure she wants to revisit the past that still haunts her. Then she and Daniel find a newly murdered body out in the Mojave, and she can't help but wonder if it's somehow connected to her father. And that question leads Daniel and Reni on a chilling search for the truth.

Find Me by Anne Frasier is a gripping psychological thriller. Reni is both fragile and strong. I liked how Frasier weaves her childhood memories in with their present investigation. Daniel has his own past memories to contend with. I liked him, and Reni, too. They're both interesting and well-developed characters. I hope Frasier writes more books about them. And the mystery? I liked the way it builds over the course of the book to a very suspenseful ending. And that last twist? It's a good one.

Happy Reading!

 

20 comments:

  1. Ooo! This sounds great! I am glad you enjoyed it, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh this sounds like such a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise sounds good to me! Will add this onto my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Even though it wasn't her fault he used her to lure women I can't imagine the guilt she'd feel! Sounds like a great read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really got caught up in this one. I hope there's a sequel!

      Delete
  5. Wow - this sounds like a riveting thriller! I'm putting it on my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good. I don't know this author yet, so a little investigation is in order. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never read this author before either. But if she writes more books with these two characters, I'll definitely be reading her again. :)

      Delete
  7. This does sound gripping, and I do love a good twist! Especially at the end. Glad this was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very compelling read...which I always like. :)

      Delete
  8. That is a striking cover and like the premise of this one. Sounds like a good thriller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a cool cover? It's what first drew me to this book. :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a great read! I'll have to look for this one. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a well-written and compelling read. :)

      Delete
  10. I love books that feature crows or ravens on the cover! They are such cool birds!

    ReplyDelete