Sunday, May 1, 2022

May randomness...

Just started reading The May Queen Murders by Sarah Jude. It seemed like an appropriate book to start the month off with.




And I love this poem about May:

May Day
by Sara Teasdale (1844-1933)

A delicate fabric of bird song
Floats in the air,
The smell of wet wild earth
Is everywhere.

Red small leaves of the maple
Are clenched like a hand,
Like girls at their first communion
The pear trees stand.

Oh I must pass nothing by
Without loving it much,
The raindrop try with my lips,
The grass with my touch.

For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May
Shining after the rain?



Then there's this painting by John Collier titled "Queen Guinevere's Maying" which also seemed particularly appropriate:



As for my reading in May? I'm hoping to get two more classics finished this month, along with another nonfiction book. Here's what I just checked out of the library:

Twelve Years a Slave
The Suite Spot
Razorblade Tears
The Slow March of Light
Tunnel 29
Pride, Prejudice and Peril
Fallen Creed
Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye
A Double Life


A quick bookish apology to all those bloggers with Disqus who have commented on my blog recently (like Anne and Mia and Deb, etc.); the reason I haven't commented back is because Disqus no longer allows guests to comment on its platform like it once did, and I really don't want to have to create yet another account with yet another password and sign into yet another thing in order to comment back; and I don't like that Disqus makes you do that. But I still visit your blogs and read your posts! I just didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you, because I'm not. 

One last thought for this first day of May:



And May the Force be with you...
Happy May Day!


On the new comment box below:  You don't have to comment as Anonymous if you don't want to, even though that's the first option that comes up. There is a small down arrow next to Anonymous when you go to comment that if you click on will bring down other options, like comment with a Google account, or use your name and a URL. I know it's obnoxious, and I'm sorry. I don't like that that's the new thing now either. 

35 comments:

  1. Same to you. Can I send you a card?
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a card. If you give me your email address I'll send you my address. :D

      Delete
    2. reginekarpel@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. I love your poetry! I do know the Irish Blessing one but the other I didn't and it was so beautiful. As far as commenting-- thank you so much for reading my blog! I understand if you have trouble commenting on Blogger sites. I have trouble commenting on many WP sites and I have to go in under my Twitter account that is not active like my blog, but oh well. Thanks for sharing this upbeat post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I do enjoy reading all your posts. We do read very similarly, so that's always fun. :D

      Delete
  3. Lark, loved this post to kick off the month of May :) Hope you have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wish at the end of your post -- and may it be true for you too! You've definitely chosen an apt showcase read for May -- I seem to recall the Mayfair festival in one of Thomas Hardy's books and I think that didn't end so well either. The Collier painting is pretty awesome. ~Lex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love that painting! I've read The Suite Spot and really enjoyed it. I hope. you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading The Suite Spot. I loved Doller's Float Plan so much. :D

      Delete
  6. I don't know what's going on with all the commenting changes ha ha- it's like they all changed at once? And what a beautiful way to usher in May! The artwork, and that book... I'll have to check that out, that looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These commenting changes are so annoying! And who asked for them anyway? It's like the people at Google sit around trying to figure out how they can mess the internet up for us this week. I wish they'd just stop. ;D

      Delete
  7. Fun May randomness and the poem hit my thoughts well when I'm out on one of my walks. Hope you enjoy your new library stack.

    Have a good week, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Sara Teasdale poem, and it's one I haven't encountered before (or at least, not that I remember) -- so thank you for introducing me to it! I love the pre-Raphaelites and the Arthurian legends, so the Collier painting clicks two of my boxes in one, so to speak. And I have always loved that Celtic blessing.

    The only title of your library books that I have read is Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (or at least some in that series - can't remember if I read the first book or not.) It's relatively light, but fun -- I hope you enjoy it! I wish you a good week, beautiful weather, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Pre-Raphaelite artists, too! Their paintings are so amazing. And I'm looking forward to reading Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye. :D

      Delete
  9. Hi Lark, thanks for this salute to May. I am not good with most poetry but Sara Teasdale I understood and she is really talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Sara Teasdale's poetry. Her poems are simple, but so beautiful. :)

      Delete
  10. I was wondering about the new comment thingy. I don't know how it effects visitors to my blog. I don't do well with change. *sigh* I enjoyed The Suite Spot. Hope you do, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do well with change either. But I am very much looking forward to reading The Suite Spot. :D

      Delete
  11. Why on Earth do these companies feel the desperate need to fix what doesn't need fixing? It drives me 'insane'! But I enjoyed your post very much. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me insane, too! Especially because their 'fixes' always end up complicating everything or making everything worse. I hate it.

      Delete
  12. Love the Sara Teasdale poem.

    Greetings from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone is having problems with the new comment box. I couldn't even leave a comment for the first couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half my comments would show up one day, and would have disappeared overnight and be gone the next day. It's so weird! And I know one of your comments on my blog ended up in spam, so now I check my spam folder everyday just in case.

      Delete
  14. That is a perfect poem for this month. :-)

    I just noticed the new comment box today--I guess I'm late to the party, but, yes, it is a bit annoying, isn't it?

    I hope you have a great May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new comment box is annoying. I'm just glad your comment made it through. :)

      Delete
  15. What a great post to usher in May! So fun! I've been having a lot of trouble with the new comment box too. It's frustrating. I've had a lot of comments be marked as spam that definitely shouldn't have been, including one of yours. I'll be checking my spam folder more often now, that's for sure. I don't know why Google had to change things. It seemed to be working fine beforehand. Hopefully things will straighten out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when they change things and make it all worse. Some of my comments on blogs seem to publish okay, and then disappear by the next day. It's frustrating. But what can you do?

      Delete
  16. I don't really like this new comment section. Not really user friendly IMO but, oh well. Love that May Day poem. Thanks for sharing, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the new comment boxes either! But at least your comment didn't get put into spam like a lot of other people's.

      Delete
  17. Oooh-- Razorblade Tears and Fallen Creed. You've got some good reading ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for both books; I love Alex Kava's Ryder Creed series and I've heard such good things about Razorblade Tears. :)

      Delete