Wednesday, July 13, 2022

The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley

The plot:  Running from her not-so-great life in London, Jess heads to Paris to crash with her half-brother, Ben, for awhile. He's not happy about it, but he texts her his address and assures her he'll be there to let her in. Only when she arrives, Ben is gone and things don't feel right in his apartment. Jess questions the other six residents living in the building, but they're not very helpful. They all have secrets of their own; and one of those secrets might be the reason Ben is missing. Because he was investigating something, or someone, connected with that apartment building.

My thoughts:  Foley has written another novel full of surprises and suspense. While Jess is the main narrator, Foley also includes the POVs of some of the other building residents:  Sophie, 50+, posh, and living in the Penthouse; Mimi, 19, and more odd than edgy; Nick, a university friend of Ben's; and the old Concierge who watches all the residents and their doings from her rooms off the courtyard. Then there's Antoine, the alcoholic on the first floor, and sexy Camille, Mimi's roommate. None of them are very likable or felt very trustworthy. But the shift in POVs throughout kept the chapters short and the story line moving at a fast clip. Jess is a bit messed up, but I liked her pluck and determination to find out what happened to Ben, even if some of her actions felt a bit reckless at times. And the mystery? I thought the big secret, while not supernatural or super shocking, was plausible and fit the story. And I really liked how Foley brought all the pieces of it and the various POVs together. Plus, there's a really good and unexpected twist at the end that I loved. 

This was another fun buddy read with Melody @ Melody's Reading Corner. Be sure to check out her review, too.

Happy Reading!


Similar reads:


 

42 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I'm always fascinated by this 'concierge' thing they do in apt. blocks in France. You see them a lot in Maigret books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the concierge in this book definitely has her secrets...and sees things she shouldn't. :)

      Delete
  2. This is another fun buddy read, Lark! Jess is a great character despite her recklessness at times, isn't it? Looking forward to our next buddy read and hopefully it'd be a good one also. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess was a fun character, even if we worried a lot about her. :) And I think our next buddy read should be a good one. (Fingers crossed!)

      Delete
  3. I like the variety of characters. Will make for an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a good variety of characters in this one, that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks to both you and Melody for doing these buddy reads, Lark! I think we all enjoy hearing your thoughts on them. I'm glad that there is at least one character to root for or like. I'm about out of patience with books that have no likeable characters at all. As I told Melody, I think this premise reminds me a bit of one of Riley Sager's books. Can't think of the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminded me a lot of Sager's Lock Every Door...which also takes place in a fancy apartment building where everyone has a secret. I liked that one, too.

      Delete
  5. I read this one earlier this year and was a little disappointed by it. Still, I liked it well enough. Foley knows how to build a plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does. I think Melody felt the same way as you, and I wonder if it's because she felt a bit let down by what the big secret turned out to be.

      Delete
  6. This isn't my type of read, but my mom and aunt love this type, so I'll share it with them! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I enjoy multiple POVs, especially in a book like this. And I love a good twist at the end. I'll add this to my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought that last twist was a really good one. It surprised me, but in a good way. :)

      Delete
  8. I liked that twist at the end too. I've seen mixed reviews for this but I really liked it. Glad you did too. The short punchy chapters really kept it flowing, I thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little worried before I started reading it because I'd seen some mixed reviews of it, too, but I ended up really liking it, too. It's an entertaining read.

      Delete
  9. Glad this worked for you, I didn't love it as it had a rather claustrophobic feel I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice that, but then different books affect us all so differently, don't they?

      Delete
  10. Oh, I've heard this is good, and now you've confirmed it. I like that there are multiple POV's, as it makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The different POVs in this one kept the narrative moving at a pretty fast pace. I thought this was an entertaining read. :)

      Delete
  11. Will read.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've really enjoyed Foley, but somehow this one fell a little flat for me. Glad to hear you enjoyed it more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one better than Foley's The Hunting Party; that one fell a little flat for me. :)

      Delete
  13. Its important in mysteries that the ending feel right, fit the story and it sounds like this book does that. I have seen this book around and it sounds worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending in this one worked for me. I liked the big surprise twist at the end, and I liked Jess, too. :)

      Delete
  14. This does sound like an interesting read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like one I'd like on audio. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever narrates it will have to be very good at doing different POVs, because there are a lot of them in this book.

      Delete
  16. I keep hearing good things about this one and hope to read it. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was an entertaining summer read. :)

      Delete
  17. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one! I haven't read any books by Lucy Foley yet and have been wanting to for awhile. I am a sucker for a good mystery and this sounds like it could offer it.
    claire @clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun read. Foley writes a good mystery. :)

      Delete
  18. I like the sound of this one! I really liked The Guest List, but then started briefly The Hunting Party (not in the mood, I think), but I might give this one a try. I do like the premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one better than The Hunting Party. It's an entertaining read. :)

      Delete
  19. I've been wanting to read this one ever since I read and enjoyed The Guest List, so I'm glad to hear it was a good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I really liked Jess and I thought it was a fast-paced and fun read. :)

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you reviewed & liked this one. I've heard so much about Foley's books but I haven't read her yet. So wondering which is good to start with ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read this one and The Hunting Party, and I liked both, but I liked this one better!

      Delete