Monday, May 11, 2015

From the W Shelf...

Unlike the letter X, there are a lot more authors to choose from on the W shelf. Several were authors I've read before: Lauren Willig, Jennifer Weiner, and Lisa Wingate. But there were many more I haven't. I decided to go with an author I haven't read before, but it was hard to choose just one, so I might be spending a lot more time among the Ws. Here's who I picked to read first:

Author: Willet, Jincy
Title: The Writing Class


Take one university extension writing course with a has-been author, over a dozen wannabe writers, and one sociopath who goes from prank phone-calls to threatening critiques to murder over the course of the class, and you have this funny mystery by Jincy Willett. I liked how her characters seem like mere cliches at the start of the class, but become very real and likeable as their teacher gets to know them. It's the interactions of these characters that make this novel so much fun. That and their trying to figure out who the murderer is all while knowing he or she is one of them. It creates a nice tension while maintaining a lighter, humorous note. Plus, it's about writing and wanting to get published...a subject I always enjoy reading about. I ended up liking this mystery a lot. Yay! Another happy find from the W shelf. Can't wait to see what I stumble across next. 

Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Willet, but you have certainly piqued my interest with this one. I tend to enjoy books that have a bookish theme, and I like the idea of a humorous side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun, unique spin on the murder mystery! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this one but I love that setting! Will watch out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the setting that drew me to this book...and what makes it more than just an ordinary mystery.

      Delete