Saturday, August 8, 2015

Around the World in 8 Books...

When taking a bookish trip around the world you have basically two options: fiction or non-fiction. Each itinerary offers a wide range of possible destinations; what books you choose all depends on where you want to go. Imagine, in just 8 books you can circumnavigate the globe!

Here's the fictional around-the-world trip I wouldn't mind taking:

  1. London Falling by Paul Cornell
  2. Salaam, Paris by Kavita Daswani
  3. The Storyteller of Marrakesh by Joydeep Roy-Bhattacharya
  4. Appointment in Venice by Sally Stewart
  5. Treasure of Egypt by Barbara Ivie Green
  6. The Painter From Shanghai by Jennifer Cody Epstein
  7. The Bali Mystery by Linda Clarke
  8. Galapagos Regained by James Morrow
My non-fiction trip looks a little different, but it still includes 8 amazing bookish destinations:
  1. The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by Thad Carhart
  2. A Labyrinth of Kingdoms: 10,000 Miles Through Islamic Africa by Steve Kemper
  3. Visit Sunny Chernobyl by Andrew Blackwell
  4. I'll Call you in Kathmandu: the Elizabeth Hawley Story by Bernadette McDonald
  5. Hitchhiking Vietnam by Karin Muller
  6. Alone in Antarctica by Felicity Aston
  7. Lost in the Amazon by Stephen Kirkpatrick
  8. Missoula by Jon Krakauer
I'd rather have real stamps in my passport, but until I can afford an actual trip around the world, bookish travel will have to do.

Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. This would be a fascinating reading journey. Have you read all of these, or are you planning to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read several of them...more of the non-fiction ones than the fiction books, but I'd really like to read the rest. I just checked out The Bali Murders and I have Salaam, Paris sitting on my shelf...so that will keep me busy for awhile. :)

      Delete
  2. I love traveling by book - so much more than the real thing! Thank you for some excellent suggestions - or itineraries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun doing this post. (And found a lot of books that I now want to read.)

      Delete
  3. There are so many books here that I've never heard of! I love the experience of learning about a new place through reading a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. When you can't travel for real, traveling by book is the next best thing. :)

      Delete