Monday, November 2, 2015

Blackout!


I had 12 categories left on my reading bingo card and I just finished reading the last one. (Hooray!) Here are the books I read and the categories they filled for the last 12 squares:

20th Century Dead Author: The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie (Because you can never go wrong with Christie.)
ART: The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro
Banned: The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (For some reason this was the hardest category for me to complete.)
A Book Abandoned: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (I got to page 280--more than halfway through this 529-page book--and while I thought it was interesting, I just didn't want to read the rest. So I quit.)
Book of Essays: The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan (Such amazing writing!)
Celebrity: Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison
Cult Classic: I actually ended up reading two books for this category: Geek Love by Katherine Dunn, a novel about a carnival cult, and V For Vendetta by Alan Moore, a graphic novel that has a cult following.
Passion: Blind Descent by James M. Tabor
Pulitzer Prize: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Revisited: The Alliance by Gerald N. Lund (My all-time favorite dystopian novel!)
Trash: Captive Heart by Michele Paige Holmes (Not so much trash as pure fluff.)
UFO: Raven's Exile: A Season on the Green River by Ellen Meloy

One of the reasons I love doing reading bingo is that it pushes me out of my bookish comfort zone and makes me try books I wouldn't otherwise read. Which is a good thing. So here's a big THANKS to the Unruly Reader for coming up with this awesome bing card. I had a lot of fun completing it!

Happy Reading!

(To see what I read for the other 13 bingo categories click here.)

10 comments:

  1. Lark -- Well done, and congratulations! So excited you got blackout -- and with 2 months still left in the year. Impressive!

    You read some great books for bingo -- I love seeing your selections.

    Book Bingo 2016 is already in the planning stages... My friend and I are plotting categories, and then our wildly talented graphic designer will whip us up a bingo card. We'll release it upon the world probably in December.

    So excited for your bingo blackout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're going to do another bingo card for next year. I don't know why I get such a kick out of filling in bingo squares with the books I read, but I do. It's one of my favorite things. :) So thanks!

      Delete
  2. I would love to do a book bingo card some time. It just didn't fit in with everything else going on this year. I agree it's good to be pushed out of our reading habits from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a limit to how many reading challenges you can do, that's for sure. I always put bingo at the top of my priority list, but it does sometimes keep me from signing up for other things.

      Delete
  3. I'm eager to read All the Light We Cannot See--I can understand why you abandoned Life After Life. I'm glad I stuck with it, but abandoning it did occur to me occasionally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I made it halfway through Life After Life, then I flipped to see how it ended, and then I called it good. But I do like how Kate Atkinson writes.

      Delete
  4. I've never actually done a book bingo, I think I might try do one in 2016. I like the idea that it will make me choose books that I might never have found otherwise. How was The Sittaford Mystery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sittaford Mystery was really good; it starts off at a seance in Dartmoor...in a snowstorm. Of course, I totally didn't guess whodunnit, but I had a lot of fun reading it.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on blackout! I am still hoping against the odds to complete my bingo cards this year. Funny how marking in those little squares becomes a real incentive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I think it goes back to childhood for me...I loved filling in those reading charts for school.

      Delete