Sunday, April 16, 2017

From the L Shelf...

Author:  Con Lehane
Title:  Murder at the 42nd Street Library


I checked this book out because of the title. I just couldn't resist a murder mystery set at the 42nd Street library in New York City. (Which is a research library, not a circulating one.) The main character, Raymond Ambler, curates the library's crime fiction collection; he's also a "doggedly curious fellow" and an amateur sleuth. So when a writer is murdered at the library, Ambler can't resist poking his nose into the matter. What he uncovers is past scandals and old rivalries, professional jealousy, greed, unexpected connections, murderous secrets and a growing list of suspects. Who knew the bookish world could be so dangerous?

What can I say? With a plot that includes two murdered writers, some clever librarians, one dedicated homicide detective, a couple of runaways, an all-knowing Irish bartender and a few surprises along the way, this is a winning mystery. I really liked Ambler and his fellow librarian and friend, Adele; they're both fun, engaging characters. The dialogue is great. And I loved the setting. This was a very entertaining find from the L shelf. I can't wait to read Lehane's next Raymond Ambler mystery.

Happy Reading!


P.S. If you do read this book, ignore the sentences that didn't make sense because they were missing a word, or had an extra word that didn't belong, or even had the wrong verb tense. Unfortunately, I noticed several mistakes like that as I read this book. Makes you really miss the days of editors.

20 comments:

  1. Who will resist that title? I know I won't. Glad to hear this is a winning mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books set in libraries always seem to draw me in. And I really enjoyed the characters. :)

      Delete
  2. Lark, I've seen this book and requested it because of the title :) So glad you enjoyed it so much. Now, I can't wait to read it. Sounds like it will be a fun read. And thanks for the tip about the mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :)

      Delete
  3. A library and clever librarians! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor copy editing drives me crazy, so I don't know if I could ignore it enough to enjoy the book :( It sounds like a fun one, though. I may check it out anyway. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all the way through the book, but I did notice at least three or four mistakes. Luckily, never at any crucial moments. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a lot of fun, Lark! I do love a good, fun mystery. I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to editing errors. I can overlook them pretty easily, but it's unfortunate that they do get by. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And this mystery, especially the fun characters, does make up for the errors that showed up here and there. :)

      Delete
  6. That is too bad about the errors. I have a tendency to notice them myself. I have this one on my shelf, actually, and am glad you liked this one despite the flaws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to reading his next one with this character. (I just hope they proofread it better.) :)

      Delete
  7. I love books like this--setting, theme, are perfect. Although the lack of editing usually does get to me after awhile--well, now I am forewarned. Have you ever reading the Cliff Janeway, Bookman series? I love those, and they're set in Colorado! This reminded me of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Cliff Janeway books!!! :D I wish John Dunning would write more of them. (And this book does have a similar feel...which is probably why I liked it.)

      Delete
  8. This sounds terrific! Love the fact that the librarians are portrayed so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great characters! I liked them a lot. :)

      Delete