Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Bookish Suspense...

"Five women have disappeared from Gideon County, Texas, in the last six months. The latest was two nights ago. The victims have all vanished on Saturday night. And the period between abductions is diminishing. Commonalities between the abductions indicate that we're dealing with a single offender. Someone who's growing bolder, more confident."

Three FBI agents from the BAU--C.J. Emmerich, Brianne Rainey, and rookie Caitlin Hendrix--head to Texas to help chase down this escalating serial killer. Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner is a compelling cat-and-mouse game  between Caitlin and the killer. The suspense really picks up towards the end, making the last half unputdownable. I thought it read a lot like an episode of Criminal Minds, but without the overly graphic crime scenes. Caitlin, the main narrator, is very well developed. She has flaws and fears, grit and stick-to-itiveness, and a complicated past; I liked her a lot. The secondary characters were all good, too. And the killer is scarily manipulative, which made the book even better. And even though this is Gardiner's second UNSUB novel, you don't necessarily need to read the first one in order to enjoy this one. I didn't. Though I intend to go back and read it in the very near future. Gardiner's a great author. I'm excited to check out her many other novels.

Happy Reading!



Similar Read:  Blood Mist by Mark Roberts
                        The Vanishing Season by Joanna Schaffhausen
                        Color Blind by ColbyMarshall


16 comments:

  1. I read Gardiner's Shadow Tracer (a stand alone) and enjoyed the fast pace and movie-like action. I need to try the Unsub series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's a good author. I'm glad there are other books out there by her for me to try. :)

      Delete
  2. I’m glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lark, this sounds really good and though shows like Criminal Mids deal with fascinating topics the graphic aspect has caused me to shy away but as you say Meg Gardiner not as graphic so we can enjoy the psychological aspects of the crime without too much gore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I can take gore, but it's sometimes nice to get away from it. :)

      Delete
  4. If this is like Criminal Minds without the graphic content, then I'm totally in! I haven't read anything by this author, but it sounds like I need to remedy that. And soon. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give her a try and see what you think! Hopefully she works for you. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good one and I'm glad it could be read as a standalone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get hints of things that happened in the previous book, but I never felt lost. So that was good. :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds good! I just found it on audio on Scribd. I'm super excited now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! And thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  7. Ooh, this sounds like a great one! I'm always on the lookout for new suspense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read Meg Gardiner before, but I like her writing and plan on reading more of her suspense novels. :)

      Delete
  8. I've seen mixed opinions on this author, especially about Unsub-but I guess that's true of every author really! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People read so differently I'm surprised whenever any of us agree on an author or a book. ;D

      Delete