Sunday, July 29, 2018

Odd Pairings...

Cinderella Girl vs. The Cinderella Governess

Why these two books? Well, when I looked Cinderella Girl by Carin Gerhardsen up in the library catalog to see if my library had a copy, The Cinderella Governess by Georgie Lee was the very next book title on the list. And it was such a strange juxtaposition I couldn't resist checking them both out to see how they measured up against each other.  Here are the results:
















◉ Swedish Crime Fiction                                               ◉ Regency Romance

◉ Lots of pieces and plot lines that keep                    ◉  Fun, if completely predictable
you guessing and only come together to                           plot. Comes with requisite 
form a complete picture at the very end.                           happily ever after ending.

◉  Between the many victims' POVs                           ◉  Spunky governess, Joanna 
and the various police detectives POVs,                           Radcliffe, and the honorable
I found it hard to connect with any of                               Major Luke Preston, her love
Gerhardsen's main characters.                                           interest, are both likeable and
                                                                                                  easy-to-root-for characters.

◉  Interesting and compelling mystery                        ◉ Light-hearted and humorous
that's a bit dark, but not too graphic.                                 romance.  And did I mention,
                                                                                                    completely predictable?

So, which book is better? Depends on what you're in the mood for. The Cinderella Governess would probably win on characters, but Cinderella Girl has the definite edge when it comes to plot. And while neither is a perfect read, I liked both books enough to give them each a 3.5/5 stars. Though I don't think I'll be rushing out to read either author again any time soon.

Happy Reading!


                                                                                           

14 comments:

  1. I love your comparison!! I think I'm in the mood for The Cinderella Governess right now, but Cinderella Girl also sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are good in their own way, so it's really what you're in the mood for. :D

      Delete
  2. What a fun post! The Cinderella Governess sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute and very readable Regency romance! :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting how books with similar titles can be so completely different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of funny how often two books can be polar opposites and yet have the same title!

      Delete
  4. I can guess why the romance was titled Cinderella Governess, but what about the Crime Fiction book? Does the title actually match the story line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title of Cinderella Girl comes into play a little bit in the book with one of sisters who becomes a main character, but you don't really realize the significance of it until you reach the very end of the novel.

      Delete
  5. Great post and I love how you compared these books, Lark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I get tired of writing regular reviews, so I thought I'd have some fun and try something new. :)

      Delete
  6. Odd bedfellows make for a really interesting paired review! Of the two, I'd lean toward the Regency. I'm not so fond of dark crime fiction, though I love more classic-style mysteries. But quick question: did you mean the Regency heroine was sunky, or spunky? Because I'd rather read about the latter than the former...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I definitely meant spunky! I'll be fixing that typo immediately. Thanks, Lark. :D

      Delete