Friday, May 17, 2019

Bookish suspense...


A Merciful Secret by Kendra Elliot is the third Mercy Kilpatrick mystery, and I think it's my favorite so far. Mercy is an FBI agent working out of Bend, Oregon. Her boyfriend, Truman Daly, is the sheriff of Eagle's Nest, the small Oregon town where Mercy grew up. And they're such a great team! I love Mercy's prepper past, and how well she and Truman work together when they're solving a case.

Their case this time involves a judge in Portland, and an old woman living miles away in a cabin in the woods. They have nothing in common except how they were murdered. Mercy literally gets dragged into the case by the old woman's granddaughter, Morrigan. The twist? The grandmother and her daughter, Salome, are apparently witches. Is that why they were killed? And how are they connected to the murdered judge? It's a mystery...and one Mercy and Truman are determined to solve before anyone else dies.

I love the way Elliot spins a story and how she builds suspense in her novels. And I love her characters--even the secondary ones like Mercy's blind sister, Rose, and her hipster FBI partner, Eddie. This is definitely my new favorite mystery series. Intrigued? Check out her previous books, A Merciful Death and A Merciful Truth, first. You won't be sorry.

Happy Reading!

19 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...hipster Eddie sounds like someone I would like. I will have to look into this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the characters are kind of awesome.

      Delete
  2. OK, I just went and got the first book in the series. I have Kindle Unlimited and it's available there (as well as the audio). Since I have lived in Oregon and visited Bend, I really think I'll like this series. Thanks to both you and Jenclair for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really good! It might've been my favorite one, too. Glad you're still enjoying the series, Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love it. I just checked the fourth one out of the library. :)

      Delete
  4. I just finished scheduling reviews of the next two books! This has been a really intriguing series! I find so many of the secondary characters interesting and love the way Elliot weaves some of them back in when writing the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secondary characters really add to these novels, don't they? I want to check out her other series now, too.

      Delete
  5. Your reviews for this series are really making me eager to pick up a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like these books, Ashley. :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you're really enjoying this series, Lark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fast becoming some of my favorite books. :D

      Delete
  7. I like the pretty but could be sinister cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another mystery series I am interested in! Glad to hear that this has a set of characters that you really enjoy. I swear that's what makes series so fun - you get to revisit with favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely a big part of why I love this series so much. The characters are just so great. :)

      Delete
  9. I love novels with great secondary characters and suspense. I need to check this series out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great—good setting, and possible witches is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete