Thursday, May 30, 2019

Birding at Bear River...



The Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge in Northern Utah is a few hours drive from my house. I like to go there every spring to see the migrating birds. Thousands of birds stop here every year to breed and nest, from avocets to stilts. We saw over 30 different kinds of birds when we drove the auto tour loop this year, including this inquisitive great-tailed grackle that was hopping about the parking lot:

Isn't he cute?

I also like to visit this bird refuge because it's so beautiful. Check out these views:








My favorite birds? I love the cinnamon teals and American coots; and the avocets, great blue herons, and snowy egrets, too. And I have to admit to having a special liking for those crazy long-billed curlews and white-faced ibises.  But this year, for the first time, we also spotted a red-breasted merganser, a bird which doesn't normally come to the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. And he became #194 on my bird list, making him my favorite this time around.


Happy Birding!



Related post:  Of Books and Birds

25 comments:

  1. Amazing photographs, I am a bit jealous of the amazing nature you have in the US!
    I love the birds, the little black one and the duck, he (she?) is super-cute, a bit punk with the feathers on top of its head.

    Thanks for sharing!!
    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the crests on the merganser fun? They do look a bit punk. :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Lark! And I love the pics, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful state! Love the mountains and the river and the birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Utah does have a lot of beautiful scenery! :)

      Delete
  4. So beautiful and it's great that you get to see so many types of birds. Our dog Cass would be in heaven because he LOVES to bird watch. Do they allow pets there? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at their website and couldn't see anything that said dogs are prohibited; we always do the auto tour loop when we go and dogs could for sure go with you in your car on that. There's a 1.5 hike nearby and dogs are probably allowed on that, too, as long as they're leashed.

      Delete
  5. How beautiful! Sounds like a wonderful time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice morning's outing, and always makes it feel like summer's just around the corner. :)

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful pictures. Glad you got to tick another bird off your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun when you spot a bird you've never seen before. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, lucky you! That is a stunning location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it an amazing place? I love going there. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, that is gorgeous! My dad and I would have a great time exploring there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome place. I wish you could see it! :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous! I don't know anything about birds, but I do love watching the cute quail family living in my backyard. The babies are so teensy and it's just a joy to watch them following their parents around in the grass :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching quail, too. When their babies first hatch they look like little puffballs running through the grass. :)

      Delete
  10. Looks like a beautiful area! Thanks for sharing these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's less beautiful in late summer when everything starts to dry out, but in the spring it's amazing. :)

      Delete
  11. Such beautiful photos, Lark. I can only imagine how much more lovely the sights were in person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to visit this place again--we had a wonderful day there a couple of years ago, and I remember the fields of white-faced ibises and we also saw a burrowing owl that day.

    I have a soft spot for avocets too--such pretty birds.

    Happy birding...and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow it's beautiful there. I certainly don't know much about birds but it's one of my favorite things about spring - when I walk out to my car in the mornings to go to work and all the birds are singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that about this time of year, too. :)

      Delete