Friday, September 25, 2020

The Drifter by Nicholas Petrie...

8 Things to know about Peter Ash:

  • "Peter was lean and rangy, muscle and bone, nothing extra."
  • "He had the thoughtful eyes of a werewolf a week before the change."
  • "He'd fought two wars over eight years, with more deployments than he cared to remember."
  • "But he liked fixing old houses. He'd done it with his dad in Northern Wisconsin. ... The job today was simple, a battle he could win using only his mind, his muscles, and a few basic tools. He could get lost in the challenge and let the war years fade."
  • Peter is suffering from a unique form of PTSD. "He called it the white static. His very own war souvenir." It makes it impossible for him to stay inside for very long. So for the past year he's lived outside, wandering the North Cascades, hiking, camping, breathing, and hoping the static will go away.
  • When he learns that his friend and fellow marine, Jimmy Johnson, has just committed suicide, Peter knows he has to come down from the mountain to do what he can to help out Jimmy's widow and their two little boys. 
  • Somehow Peter ends up with the meanest, ugliest, and smelliest dog he's ever seen...because he can't make himself take it to the pound.
  • When he fixes Dinah Johnson's front porch (for free), he finds a bag filled with money and plastic explosives. And Peter knows he has to find out how it got there, and who wants it back, before Dinah and her boys get hurt.

Action. Mystery. A totally likable character. And a dog! This book has it all. And it reads fast. I really liked this one. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Happy Reading!

42 comments:

  1. A likable character and a dog! Sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb might well be all over this book if it has a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree dogs, especially scraggly ones, enhance a book. This one sounds entertaining. Based on your description it sounds like the kind of book that my wife reads a lot of. I will mention the title to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this author or book, but it sounds like I might need to give THE DRIFTER a go. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just really liked Peter! He's a great character. :)

      Delete
  5. Peter sounds like a great character read about. And the dog too! I'll have to look this one up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one! I already like Peter for adopting an ugly dog because he can't bear to take it to the pound! I hope there's a romance. I'm off to check this one out. Thanks for putting it on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No romance in this one...unless you count the happy ending with the dog. :)

      Delete
  7. Such an interesting main character deserves a look. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's certainly a unique character. I liked him.

      Delete
  8. Oh, how I love the sound of 'wandering the Cascades'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't that sound great? As long as I don't actually have to camp out every night. I love being up in the mountains, and then coming home and sleeping in my own bed. :D

      Delete
  9. Peter sounds like a fascinating character. And who can resist a dog as one of the characters in a story? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peter sounds like such a complex character and the perfect hero for this genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's great. Seeing him trying to cope with his PTSD and live his life is so interesting. I hope the author writes many more books about him. :)

      Delete
  11. A bag filled with money mystery. Sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind finding a bag filled with money...as long as it didn't also come with bad guys looking for it. ;D

      Delete
  12. Lots of suspense. A true unique character too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds pretty good! And the dog's a bonus... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually want to know more about the dog and then the human, 😏 I’m kidding, to am sure Peter makes a great companion for the dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog makes for a great character in this one. :)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. :D That's always a draw for me in any book, too.

      Delete
  16. I'm in love already ""He had the thoughtful eyes of a werewolf a week before the change."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, a smelly dog. :) He has to be a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of his interactions with that dog are hilarious. It's what made me like him so much. :)

      Delete
  18. A dog, likeable character and a mystery! This sounds really good. I am glad you liked it, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read. I'm looking forward to reading the second book. :)

      Delete
  19. I don't think I would have been interested in this book before but love these snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter is such a great character. He made the book awesome.

      Delete