Thursday, January 12, 2023

Woman in Shadow by Carrie Stuart Parks

 
The Plot:  
Darby Graham is a forensic linguist. Or was. Lately she's been struggling with PTSD from a case that cost her almost everything. Now she's been sent to Idaho to stay at the exclusive Mule Shoe Dude Rance for a vacation...and to look into some recent incidents of sabotage that has the owner worried.

Bram White is a Deputy Sheriff investigating a string of fires in town. He hopes Darby will help him analyze the letters left by the serial arsonist. In return, she asks for his help at Mule Shoe when things escalate and people start getting hurt.

My thoughts:
I liked Darby a lot. And I found it fascinating how she could draw so many clues and truths just from listeining to a person's words. And her fight to deal with her PTSD triggers felt very real. I thought Bram was a good guy, if a little shallow at times. His interactions with Darby were sometimes awkward, sometimes cute, sometimes humorous, and always fun. 

The mystery itself has lots of  different threads, from the random problems at the lodge, to the arson, to a missing artist, to murder. The way Parks weaves them all together with both suspense and good writing makes this novel very readable and engaging. And there are two dogs, Holly and Maverick, that Darby rescues at the beginning of the book that I totally loved! I'd give this one 4 stars.  

Happy Reading!

42 comments:

  1. You had me at 'forensic linguist'! How fascinating! Will go and look this one up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a cool job? And an even better skill to have! No one would ever be able to lie to you.

      Delete
  2. This intrigues me, especially because I want to know more about being a forensic linguist. I agree that it sounds fascinating to be able to do what she does with just words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her skills as a forensic linguist really intrigued me!

      Delete
  3. I love dogs in books! This sounds like a fun thriller like book. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when an author can weave so many different plot threads together and make it feel seamless. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, too. Especially in mysteries!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this one!! Love her writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good. I want to check out some of her other books now.

      Delete
  7. I had to go look up forensic linguist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I don't think I've ever read about someone with that job before, but it's very interesting.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this one too. I didn't know what a forensic linguist was before this book, but found it so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very fascinating part of this book, that's for sure!

      Delete
  9. I love when dogs are a part of the story. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another author that I've meant to read for a long time. This one sounds really good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one sounds like it has some interesting characters. Definitely worth a look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! Two dogs! I think it's so difficult to portray PTSD realistically. Nice review, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs are great! And I thought Parks handled Darby's PTSD really well. I was impressed.

      Delete
  13. I don't think that I have read a book with a forensic linguist before. I like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Forensic linguist" as a career sounds amazing! It sounds like a really good read -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a fascinating job? It'd be a great job for a continuing mystery series imo.

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a good one. I love when a good mystery story brings in more about the characters. I think it's interesting as they work through there problems. I've also never read a book with a forensic linguist in it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had either, but her job is kind of cool.

      Delete
  16. I love the sound of this! Especially with the main character being a forensic linguist. Adding to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A forensic linguist would be such an interesting job. I'm also curious about the protagonist's struggle with PTSD and how that is handled by the author. Adding this to my wish list! Thank you for your great review, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the author deals with Darby's PTSD felt so authentic and believable. I was impressed.

      Delete
  18. Kicking off the year with a 4 star read! This sounds like a good mystery and I like that the main character is not necessarily a police officer yet someone who works closely with the police. It'll be interesting to learn more about how they help solve crimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that about her, too. She'd be a good character to write a series around, though I don't know if the author has any plans to do so.

      Delete
  19. What an interesting way to get the killer's mind. I like the sound of this one. Plus, dogs! Wonderful review, Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs do make everything better. Even books. :D

      Delete
  20. Yeah I always like dogs in mysteries. I hope they're all the way through the story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The premise sounds intriguing. And the dogs is a draw, too! :)

    ReplyDelete