Friday, March 25, 2016

A little bookish fun ...

As a kid I used to love reading those Choose Your Own Adventure books because I got to decide what happened next in the story. Some of my adventures ended in happily ever after, others in death, but from the first page to the last they were always a lot of fun. So when I saw Ilyse Mimoun's Choose Your Own Love Story: (Mis)Adventures in Love, Lust, and Happy Endings I could not resist.


According to the front cover, this book has one beginning, 50 choices, and 20 possible endings. As I chose my own love story, I had some happy endings, and some not-so-happy endings. But with every choice I made, I had a lot of fun. What I loved most about this book is Mimoun's humor. Especially regarding relationships and dating. Here are a few of my favorites bits:

  • Getting ready for a date with someone you might like is a terrible thing. ... The act of getting ready for a date is a prayer, like people who dance so that God will make it rain. It conjures the hope you've worked so hard to keep dormant in the innermost chamber of your heart. It brings that hope rushing right back up, so if it doesn't go well, the disappointment is crushing. 
  • This is what separates the winners and loser in the dating world--who can keep their crazy quiet the longest.
  • From that point on you keep dating but stop hoping. It's amazing how many dates you can line up in a single week, even though they are mostly boring and exhausting. And sometimes you DO like a guy (or at least are willing to entertain liking him), and those ones never call you again. You never know why. Romance is a deep and annoying mystery.
Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. I used to love reading the choose your own adventure books but I'd always have to read each possibility. Sigh! I love the quotes you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved those books, too! This is a great, creative take on the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And still surprisingly fun to choose your own adventure; guess it proves I haven't grown up yet. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm another big fan of those books. I would keep re-reading them, making different choices to what would happen. This sounds like great fun :)

    Meanwhile, I have In the Shadow of the Banyan waiting at the library - while the staff enjoys the long weekend (I'm happy for them but I want my book!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate that? Hopefully you get it today and can enjoy reading it all week. And I hope you like it as much as I did. I just really loved the main character and her father!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I definitely remember those choose your own adventures books! I loved reading them when I was a teenager but now I hardly see those books anymore, and it makes me sad. That said, I haven't seen one that's meant for adults so I'm glad for your post!

    And, thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, the author's written a second Choose Your Own Love Story book, which makes me want to hurry and go to the library because I had a lot of fun with this one. :)

      Delete
  5. I really need to read this one. I love Choose Your Own Adventures--at least I did when I was growing up. My husband actually has read this one--more out of curiosity than actual interest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take long to flip through a couple of the different story lines.

      Delete