Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Reading New England...

"A Gothic is a story about a girl who gets a house."
--Abby Adams Westlake

The Inheritance by Tom Savage


The house.  Set in Connecticut, Randall House is a three-story mansion with tall columns and ivy-colored stone walls. Built over 100 years ago on a cliff overlooking Long Island Sound, it is a house that has seen scandal and murder; a house that holds many secrets.

The girl.  Adopted at birth, the girl in question lived the first twenty-four years of her life as Holly Smith. Only she is really Holly Randall, heir to Randall House and the entire Randall fortune. But not everyone is happy to see her come home. Like her Uncle John and his wife, Catherine. And the residents of the town of Randall, Connecticut. 

The mystery.  Like every good Gothic story, The Inheritance has a crazy girl living in the gatehouse, the possibility of a romance with the handsome young chauffeur, and a mysterious old man who creeps through the halls of Randall House like a ghost. Then there's the hit man who's been hired to make Holly's death look like an accident. (And the one who hired him.) As well as a silent outsider, his German Shepherd in tow, who watches everyone and everything. And it's at Randall House where all these lives, and all the secrets of the past and present, intersect.

My thoughts.  This is an interesting mystery. Every time I thought I had it figured out, it took a turn that I wasn't expecting. Especially at the end. Some of the turns I liked, some I did not. It was the same with the characters; there were so many plots and counter-plots it was hard to know who to trust. Or like. But this modern-day Gothic mystery is still a pretty entertaining read. It'll never be my favorite, but it did keep me guessing.

Happy Reading!




10 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I'm finding more and more books that prove relatively entertaining without being anything spectacular. :) Love the quote about Gothic and a girl getting a house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great quote, isn't it? I think it's my favorite part of the book. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds very good! But too many plot twists might ruin it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had a few problems with some of the twists at the end. So if you decide to read this book, keep that in mind.

      Delete
  3. You've come up with yet another New England book I had never heard of. I'm glad it was entertaining, in spite of so many plot twists. That can really get in the way of the story, I find, if there are too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, and I liked the setting, but I could've done without some of those twists at the very end.

      Delete
  4. This sounds interesting. I always love a gothic mystery so I'll probably check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a try. Let me know what you think about the ending.

      Delete
  5. Just reading the premise, I can tell this is a book full of twists and turns. I am glad you found it entertaining, even if it did not stand out. I may have to give this one a try. I've read Tom Savage's A Penny for the Hangman, which I enjoyed more than I expected. Definitely one of those entertaining in the moment type books that doesn't stick with me for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect way to describe this read...entertaining in the moment, but one you won't remember long. :)

      Delete