Sunday, October 22, 2017

A haunting tale...

"I was the daughter of a Spiritualist medium lately from Cheapside. I was used to simple rules:  Don't get caught."
 Violet Willoughby has helped her mother perform too many fake seances to believe in ghosts. So when she catches a glimpse of a drowned girl at Lord Jasper's country estate, she doesn't know what to think. She only knows she can't tell her mother. But she has to tell someone. Because the ghost girl didn't just drown--she was murdered. And she's not the only ghost Violet's seeing. There's one other small matter haunting Violet:  one of Lord Jasper's guests just might be the ghost girl's murderer. And it's up to Violet to figure out who and why. That's if she can ever get this particular ghost to talk to her...and all the others to leave her alone!
"I felt as if I'd dipped a toe in a narrow river only to find myself swept out to sea. Something else was happening here, but I didn't know what it was. Only that the undercurrents were strong, dangerous. A person could drown in this particular sea."
Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey is an entertaining YA Victorian Gothic that leans more towards interesting mystery than suspenseful ghost story, although Violet's encounters with the ghost of the drowned girl do get a little tense and scary at times. I liked Violet's spunk, especially when she and her society friend, Elizabeth, decide to do some sleuthing on their own. I also liked Violet's childhood friend, Colin, who's always there when she needs him most. The two of them are great characters. And Haunting Violet is a well-written and engaging ghostly mystery. I liked it a lot.

Happy Reading!

18 comments:

  1. :) I'm always a sucker for ghosts, psychics, and seances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here they are all in one book! :D Best of all, the main character isn't a stupid, silly little girl. She's got guts.

      Delete
  2. This has been on my tbr shelf forever. Now that I see you liked it I’ll have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the pressure! ;D I hope you end up liking it, too.

      Delete
  3. I am adding this one to my wish list. A mystery and a ghost sound too good to pass up. I am glad you liked this one, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect season for ghost stories isn't it. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find myself looking for some good ghost stories every fall! :D

      Delete
  5. Sounds good to me! Another one onto my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a perfect read for around Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're looking for a fun ghost story/historical mystery this will fit the bill. :)

      Delete
  7. Oooh, this sounds really good. I'm definitely going to add it to the old TBR mountain chain!

    Also, I have a question for you, but I don't see your email address anywhere on here. Could you email me at blogginboutbooksATgmail.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how that goes; I always end up adding books to MY TBR mountain from your blog, too. :)

      Delete
  8. This seems perfect for October! I love when stories address the problem of seeing all the ghosts, even the ones you might wish not to see. :)

    ReplyDelete