Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager

"It'll be a summer you'll remember for the rest of your life."



Emma. Vivian. Natalie. Allison. They're the four girls in Dogwood cabin. Emma, who's the youngest at 13, has never been to summer camp before, but Vivian takes her under her wing. Their favorite game? Two truths and a lie. Then one night in July, Vivian, Natalie and Allison sneak out in the middle of the night and never come back. The police search the woods and the lake, but the three girls are never found. 

Fifteen years later, Camp Nightingale is reopening. The owners ask Emma to come back to teach art. She's a famous painter now...a painter who's suffering from a severe case of artist's block. At first, she doesn't want to go. But then she thinks she might be able to figure out what happened to Vivian and the others. Find some closure. Move on with her life. But being back at Camp Nightingale is harder than she expected, bringing back memories she'd rather forget. And when three more girls go missing, Emma becomes the prime suspect.

I really liked this book:  the summer camp setting, the flashbacks of Emma's first summer at Camp Nightingale, her ghostly visions of Vivian, the psychological suspense as everyone else around her begins to doubt her sanity, the mystery behind Vivian's, Natalie's, and Allison's disappearance, and the secret history of Camp Nightingale itself. It's all great!

Happy Reading!


33 comments:

  1. I read the first book by the author and liked it a lot. Looking forward to reading this one too. Good to know that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked this one even better than Final Girls.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this a lot too, as well as Final Girls. I hope there'll be a new book quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve heard such good things about this one. I need to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great premise! On the list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neverending list of books you want to read? I have one of those. ;D

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great suspense! I definitely need to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I like the sound of this one! A camp with secret history, and psychological suspense... sounds like I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the summer camp aspect myself. :D

      Delete
  7. I've seen mixed reviews of this author but the plot for this book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was better than Sager's first, Final Girls. At least, I liked it a lot better. :)

      Delete
  8. A summer camp mystery is a little like a boarding school mystery, and I'm a sucker for those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really curious about this one. I wasn't a big fan of Final Girls, but... I still want to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh another one for my stack. I like the setting and glad to hear it was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this sounds so good. I love the premise. Will have to put it on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good premise, isn't it? That's what intrigued me. :)

      Delete
  12. Ah, I've been wondering about this one. I didn't quite enjoy his first one, so I've been curious to see the reviews for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't love his first one either. This one's a lot better...at least in my opinion. :)

      Delete
  13. I hope I like this one better than Final Girls. Sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one a lot more than I did Final Girls. So hopefully you will, too. :)

      Delete
  14. This sounds like a great mystery! I hope my library has an audio copy. Off to see if they do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this one! Because summer camp. I enjoyed it. Glad you liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist that summer camp angle either. :D

      Delete
  16. This sounds like a great suspense novel - I love the camp angle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet, but it's definitely on my TBR list. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete