Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Mystery & suspense...

Title & Author:  The Retreat by Mark Edwards

The Setting:  Nyth Bran, a writer's retreat in North Wales

The Main Characters:  
JULIA -- the owner of Nyth Bran who's still grieving the disappearance of her young daughter, Lily.
LUCAS RADCLIFFE -- a horror writer who's working on his next book...or trying to anyway.
MAX, SUZI, and KAREN -- the other writers at the retreat.
ZARA SULLIVAN -- the private  detective Lucas hires to look into Lily's disappearance.

The Mystery:  Three years ago, eight-year-old Lily disappeared along the River Dee. Most assumed she drowned, but her body was never found. Did her disappearance have anything to do with the legend of the Red Widow? Did a stranger take her? Or is she still alive as her mother believes? Her disappearance is not the only mystery at Nyth Bran. Strange things have been happening at night:  a girl's voice singing, an unexplained smell of fear, and a whispered warning, "You're not welcome here!" Are Lucas and the others being haunted by Lily's ghost? Or by something more sinister? And what is watching Lucas and Julia from down in the woods?

My Thoughts:  This is a tangled and twisty, compelling and eerie mystery. I didn't guess where it was headed, but I happily went along for the ride. It's entertaining; and it's a page-turner! Lucas was my favorite character, but maybe that's because I've always been drawn to characters who are writers. I also really liked the way Mark Edwards writes. I'd definitely read him again. The Retreat is a fun R.I.P. read.

Happy Reading!



38 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this one! The atmospheric setting and the creepy elements all made this a very gripping read. Definitely unputdownable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Such a good read. Have you read any of his other books?

      Delete
    2. No, this is the first book I read by this author. After reading this I'll have to check out his other books. ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an author you are going to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books that keep me guessing. This one sounds creepy, but so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a good mystery/suspense novel. :)

      Delete
  4. I really love it when you don't know where a suspenseful novel is heading. It is hard to do that as a writer I think, particularly for readers like you who read a lot! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. When you read a lot you do see a lot of plots coming, don't you?

      Delete
  5. It's always fun to be surprised. I drives me nuts when I see the reveal coming a mile away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that, too. Especially when the characters don't have a clue...and should.

      Delete
  6. Twisty goodness you were happy to follow to the end? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edwards' writing is very readable. And I did not guess what the truth was until it was revealed.

      Delete
  7. Hi Lark, you've really got me interested and what a great setting, a writer's retreat in North Wales. Page turning novels require real talent and so I am checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, this sounds like a good one. I'm definitely going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep running across this author, but I've not ever read any of his books. I'm going to check this one out because it sounds like one I'd enjoy. Thanks for featuring it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an author I would definitely try again. :)

      Delete
  10. Ooh I love how eerie this sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seemed like a good book for this time of year. :)

      Delete
  11. I want this one! Sounds beautifully eerie and mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds wonderful! I'm wondering if there's any romance between Lucas and Julia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a little romance. :) But the mystery is the main focus.

      Delete
  13. I've read one of his books before and really liked it so this needs to go on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lark, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I have to admit to being a fan of Mark Edwards' books - they are usually pretty twisty :) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that I didn't guess the twist because sometimes I do. Which other books of his have you read? :)

      Delete
  15. Another great October read. I love a good twisty eerie tale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks really promising. I like the setting, and I'm always in mood for a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete