Thursday, October 26, 2023

Two Quick Bookish Books Recommendations...

 
The Bookshop of Second Chances by Jackie Fraser

First Thea gets laid off. Then she discovers that her husband of twenty years is cheating on her with one of her friends. So when she finds out she's inherited her great uncle's house and antique book collection, she gladly escapes to Baldochrie, Scotland to claim her inheritance. One thing leads to another and soon Thea is happily working at the local bookshop for the grumpy (and handsome!) owner, Edward Maltravers. 

Scotland and a bookshop? Yes, please! Those are two of my favorite things to read about. And I loved how Thea's and Edward's humorous bickering led to some very honest conversations, friendship, and ultimately deeper feelings of love.   4/5 stars. 




Bookshop Cinderella by Laura Lee Guhrke

1895, London. The Duke of Westbourne has just made a bet to turn a quiet and plain bookshop owner into the bell of the ball. And he has six weeks to do it. Evie Harlow isn't interested in his proposition until her bookshop suddenly needs some major repairs. She agrees to help him with his bet, but neither one of them planned on falling in love. 

This is a fun if predictable romance with two engaging characters. I liked that Evie knew about the bet right from the start, and I thought their dancing lessons were very cute.  3/5 stars. 


Happy Reading!


P.S  These two books count towards Susan's Bookish Books Reading Challenge.





30 comments:

  1. To be honest I really like the sound of both of these but especially Bookshop Cinderella. Off to look it up... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed both of them for different reasons. But mostly because they're just fun reads.

      Delete
  2. They do look fun! Glad you enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made me smile and were fun escapes from life. :D

      Delete
  3. I was preparing a post on bookish books too, it'll be up on Saturday.
    I love the 1st one's cover. I wish I had an estranged uncle who left me an antique book collection.... *daydreaming*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your bookish books post; and I totally wish I had an uncle or grandfather or anyone to leave me a house in Scotland with a library in it full of books! ;D

      Delete
  4. Ooh, two bookish books! I love the sound of both of them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bookshop of Second Chances sounds right up my ally! It is good Evie knew about the bet, it would stress me out waiting for that secret to drop if she didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like The Bookshop of Second Chances. It's pretty funny. And I was very glad Evie know about that bet, too; I probably would have DNFed it otherwise.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. This was my first time reading either of these authors.

      Delete
  7. Books about bookshops are a no brainer! Poor Thea in the first book definitely deserved to find some joy after all of her heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was rooting for Thea to find a happier life. And I do love books about bookshops. :D

      Delete
  8. I really liked Bookshop Cinderella and I think that The Bookshop of Second Chances sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of that first one. Bookstore and Scotland tick off some boxes fr me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these sound good, with book shops as a setting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both book sounds like fun read! And best of all is the bookish theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bookish theme is the best! I can't seem to pass up a book about a bookshop. :D

      Delete
  12. I really liked the first one! Hadn't heard of the 2nd before, but now I'm intrigued -- must check it out! I'm always up for a book set in a bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little predictable, but there are some cute moments in it. And a happy ending. :D

      Delete
  13. I agree with you: Scotland & the bookshop ... I must go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both look good (and the 2nd is on my TBR) but the 1st looks fantastic. Like you I can't resist Scotland and a bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live in Scotland if I could also own a bookshop there. :D

      Delete
  15. These both sound fun! Bookish reads are SOOOOO hard to resist. I want to read them all :)

    ReplyDelete