Monday, December 18, 2023

Dedicated to the One I Love by Beth K. Vogt

 

Kylie is the best-selling romance writer, Veronica Hollins, but she hasn't been able to write a word on her next novel since her husband died three years ago. And Joe writes military suspense novels as Tate Merrick, but his books aren't selling well enough to get him on the bestseller list, and his publisher thinks he needs to add some romance to them. But Joe doesn't write romance! So his publisher suggests they bring in Kylie to help him rewrite his latest manuscript; and Kylie's agent pushes her to accept the arrangement hoping it will help get her writing again. 

Only no one knows that Kylie and Joe are already online friends; and they don't know that Kylie is Veronica, or that Joe is Tate, until they start collaborating on Joe's book.

My thoughts:  I liked Joe's and Kylie's online friendship. But their first meeting in real life didn't go well. They have some funny push and pull moments, but I thought Kylie was a little too pushy when she started telling Joe how she was going to rewrite his novel to include the romantic story line she'd come up with without even talking to him about it first, or getting his ideas. And I didn't blame Joe for getting upset about it (though all his friends did). I thought Kylie should have been a little more respectful of the fact that it was his novel they were reworking. But Joe was the one who always ended up apologizing for being too stubborn and arguing with her. 

Over time, their interactions did get better, and I liked how they each started to respect the other one, and the other's writing, too. Joe was definitely the more likable character in my opinion. I thought it was cute how he came around to appreciating romance stories and their happy endings. So overall, I enjoyed their friendship and romance. I'd give this one 3.5/5 stars. 

This also counts as my last bookish book of the year for Susan's Bookish Books Reading Challenge

Happy Reading!


40 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I like premise of this but am not keen on people being too pushy and it sounds like she was a bit annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She annoyed me! But others have loved this one, so who knows.

      Delete
    2. LOL, I was one of the ones who loved this one! I think it depends on the mood you are in when you read it too. I loved their in-person meet, I thought it was hilarious. I think I appreciated how flawed they were, yes, Kylie was pushy, but they had friends who kept them in check.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting how their interactions improved over time, and the mutual respect for each other's writing emerged. Joe's journey toward appreciating romance stories adds a charming touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His character was the more likable one imo.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the song of the same name is a lot better than the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds cute, I like the idea of him coming around to romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you liked it overall, but sorry you didn't love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a writer myself, I just couldn't get past how Kylie treated Joe and his book in the beginning...she could have been a little nicer about the changes she wanted to make and at least talked to him about it first. I did like how the two of them grew together over the course of the novel. :D

      Delete
  6. I like the premise, although it sounds like The Shop around the Corner or You've Got Mail where the protagonists don't know they are corresponding. I hope in the end that they learned something from each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They learn pretty early on who the other is, but then they're forced to work together...which did lead to some funny moments.

      Delete
  7. Hi Lark, I would like to find a good novel about books either set in a bookstore or where one of the main characters is a librarian or a writer. I know that one of my favorite novels that deals with publishing and the lives of writers is New Grub Street by George Gissing. But I would also like to try something more recent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to try 'Lost for words' and / or 'Found in a Bookshop' by Stephanie Butland. They are connected, but you can read them independently as well. If you focus more on the 'book subject' the latter might be more your thing, though.

      Delete
    2. Lost For Words is a great one, I agree! And I'm posting my list of bookish/bookshop books that I read for this challenge this year on Thursday...there are several good books on it that I think you would like. :D

      Delete
  8. I think Kylie would frustrate me, but Joe sounds like a peach. Glad to hear you enjoyed the overall story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had some happy moments, and I liked how they came together at the end. It just isn't one of my top romance reads of the year. :D

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a cute plot even if the book was just so-so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were definitely some cute moments along the way.

      Delete
  10. I’ll check it out. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one's on my wishlist. I'm glad you ended up liking it despite the rough spots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got some cute moments...Kylie's attitude towards Joe at the beginning just really bugged me.

      Delete
  12. Not really my cup of tea but maybe I need to broaden my reading horizons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fun romance every now and then makes life a little sweeter imo. Sarah Adams and Courtney Walsh are two of my favorite romance authors; I love their books for their humor and happy endings.

      Delete
  13. This sounds cute, but not sure Kylie would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way she reacted to and treated Joe at the start bugged me. But she does improve as the book goes on.

      Delete
  14. This sounds like a good one despite the rocky start with the main female character. Joe definitely sounds more likable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's too bad this one wasn't a total winner as I love the premise. It's too bad that Kylie was too pushy. That can work in a mystery but it definitely is a problem in this genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bothered me, but other people didn't seem to mind her at all. And she got better as the book went on.

      Delete
  16. I really like the premise but I think Kylie's character would get on my nerves quickly. Glad the interactions got better and this ended up being a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't bother other people as much as she did me; I just thought she could have been a little more understanding of Joe's POV when it came to his book, you know?

      Delete
  17. It's too bad this one wasn't executed better. It certainly has a cute premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot to like about this one, I just struggled with Kylie's pushiness at the beginning.

      Delete
  18. I like the premise. Sounds like a fun read! I'm adding this one onto my wishlist. ;)

    ReplyDelete