Saturday, March 16, 2024

Keeper of Enchanted Rooms by Charlie N. Holmberg

 
Setting:  Rhode Island, 1846
Main characters: 
WHIMBREL HOUSE -- Some say it's enchanted, or maybe haunted. Either way, it really doesn't seem to like Merritt. Built on Blaugdone Island in Narragansett Bay, it's been alone and uninhabited since 1737.

MERRITT FERNSBY -- Disowned by his father and burned by love, Merritt is a non-magical writer in his early 30s who has just inherited Whimbrel House. He thinks it will be a great place to write his next novel, but he doesn't know what he's in for. 

HULDA LARKIN  -- A confirmed spinster in her 30s, she has a small talent in augury, and works for the Boston Institute for the Keeping of Enchanted Rooms (BIKER) as a housekeeper. She's come to Whimbrel House to help tame it. But she wasn't expecting to find Merritt quite so charming. 

SIMON HOGWOOD -- a power-hungry necromancer who has learned how to siphon magic from other people...and from places like Whimbrel House. 

My thoughts:  This is an enchanting and fun fantasy. I love the role Whimbrel House plays in this one. From the melting furniture to the shrinking rooms, all the tricks it plays on Merritt, especially when it refuses to let him leave, are very humorous and sometimes a little frightening. I also really enjoyed Hulda's and Merritt's investigation into what, or who, is enchanting the house. They made an engaging team, even if neither one is very good at communicating their feelings. I also liked all the magic, and how Holmberg captures the time period. It's a captivating read with some good suspense at the end. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Reading! 


32 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good one, glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun change from what I normally read. :D

      Delete
  2. It does sound appealing. Hopefully not too scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, definitely not too scary. More humorous than anything.

      Delete
  3. Uninhabited for that long, it sounds like a spooky place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little spooky especially right at the first. But then the house warms up and becomes more mischievous than scary.

      Delete
  4. This sounds really good. A haunted secluded mansion in New England in the 1840's and Merrit and Hulda sound interesting too. Another for my ever growing TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting is great and I enjoyed seeing Merritt and Hulda interact and become friends.

      Delete
  5. As this is set just an hour away, I think I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The island setting is so great! I loved both it and the time period.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh, the house playing a role is interesting! I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house was certainly an interesting character in the book. :D

      Delete
  7. I've got this one lurking on my Kindle! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is on my TBR list. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with this one. The word "necromancer" always makes me nervous. ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Necromancers never seem to equal anything good or positive, that's for sure.

      Delete
  10. This does sound like a fun fantasy! I'll keep an eye out for it at my LFL's and local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the house and the enchantment behind it!

      Delete
  11. I feel like you do a great job with your reviews! They are always different, love it! Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I get bored writing the same review over and over, so I try to mix it up once in awhile. :D

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a really good read... However, in June 2020, I read Charlie N. Holmberg's novel, The Paper Magician, and wasn't to enchanted with it... So, I am hesitant to try this novel! P. S. You inspired me to read a novel by Darcy Coates. I read and then reviewed The Haunting of Blackwood House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you gave Darcy Coates a try. I've loved some of her books, found others kind of mediocre. But I'm a sucker for haunted houses and ghosts. ;D And I tried to read The Paper Magician once and ended up DNFing it; but I actually made it through this one. So for me it's a much better read.

      Delete
  13. Just added this one to my TBR. This looks so fun and I love when a team is formed. I really need to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make for a fun team. And you'll love the house and what's behind its enchantment.

      Delete
  14. Love the sound of this one! And, I love the name, Whimbrel House :) So glad you posted about it - another one to add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete