Friday, September 4, 2026

The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie

 


The plot:  Needing a quiet place to recuperate after an airplane crash, Jerry Burton and his sister, Joanna, rent a cottage called Little Furze in Lymstock. They're not expecting to receive an anonymous letter soon after full of hateful, untruthful accusations. While it makes Joanna laugh, Jerry finds it a little unsettling. Especially when he learns several other people in Lymstock have received similar "poison pen" missives. Then one of the recipients dies by suicide. The police are called in to investigate. And Jerry realizes the culprit must be one of his own neighbors. But who? And why? 

My thoughts: This clever and fun mystery is billed as a Miss Marple mystery, but she doesn't even show up until page 167. And she only makes two other appearances after that. It would have been better, in my opinion, if Christie had just had Jerry solve the murder instead of bringing in Miss Marple for so few scenes at the end. Because Jerry is a personable and engaging narrator. I liked both him and his sister. And I enjoyed this mystery overall, too. I had two ideas of who might be behind it all....but I ended up being wrong on both accounts. Once again, Christie's plot twists were too clever for me. It's not a long book, and it reads fast. And while it's not my favorite Agatha Christie novel, I thought it was an entertaining read. And I never once thought about DNFing it.  😉

Happy Reading!

30 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a fun read! I enjoyed it greatly when I read it in 2021. My review is here if you're interested:

    https://cyberkittenspot.blogspot.com/2021/09/just-finished-reading-moving-finger-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun one! I really enjoyed it...and enjoyed reading your review of it. :D I just wish Miss Marple had either been in it a little bit more, or not at all.

      Delete
  2. I'm planning to read this soon, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! It does sound like Miss Marple wasn't really necessary in this one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she only shows up at the end...and then, of course, solves the whole thing. ;D

      Delete
  3. I have read all the Miss Marple books several times and, yes, some of them don't have her 'on scene' very much. Glad you enjoyed it even if it doesn't make your 'favorite' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did still enjoy it. I really like the way Christie writes. And her mysteries are always fun.

      Delete
  4. It's strange that she didn't bring in Miss Marple until the end. I'm sure I read this, but it's been years. I'd love to re-read all the Agatha Christie's by audio and have done some. I don't have most marked as read on Goodreads because I couldn't remember the dates I read them and didn't even know what I would've rated them, so I'm adding them as I re-read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I can go back to her books and still enjoy them...probably because I can never remember who the murder is! ;D

      Delete
  5. This sounds like such a fun mystery! Great review, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this one! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christie's mysteries have always been great favorites of mine. In fact I could say that my introduction to Christie is really what led me to become a constant reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her mysteries always make me smile. They're just so good! I can see why they drew you in and made you the reader you are today. :D

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you ended up liking it.
    Blogger has been glitching for me for days. Seems like they might have fixed the commenting problem for now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That commenting glitch with blogger was totally annoying. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

      Delete
  9. It did need more Miss Marple. (Since one can never have enough...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised she was in it so little tbh.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Even though Miss Marple appeared so late😁

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really can't go wrong with Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I enjoy this one (though I agree it's not a favorite) though I do wish we saw more of Miss Marple. I thought she was underused in this story which is pretty much about gossip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have several of Agatha Christie's books on my shelves that I need to read. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Right? She totally doesn't even need to be in this one.

      Delete
  15. I hadn't heard of this Miss Marple one. It seems like she's a late addition to the plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is...so much I was beginning to wonder if she was in it at all. ;D

      Delete