Monday, April 4, 2016

A bookish update...

Happy Birthday, Maya Angelou!
Just finished reading: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings


Quote of the Week:
"Each of us has the right and the responsibility to assess the roads which lie ahead, 
and those over which we have traveled, and if the future road looms ominous or unpromising, 
and the roads back uninviting, then we need to gather our resolve and, carrying only the necessary baggage, step off that road into another direction. If the new choice is also unpalatable, without embarrassment, we must be ready to change that as well."
--Maya Angelou

Recently checked out from the library:
(Since I have a few days off for spring break, I went for five frivolous, fun & fast reads.)

Heart of Fire by Linda Howard
Hostage by Kay Hooper
Stranded by Melinda Braun
Crimson Shore by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore

What I'll be doing on my days off besides reading:  sleeping late, hiking, baking something yummy, watching movies, lunching with my sisters, and doing some spring-cleaning.

Up Next:

When Falcons Fall by C.S. Harris

Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. I loved I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings; it has been many, many years since I read it, but I still have that distinguished, articulate teacher in my visual memory. The Crimson Shore? I can not resist these books by Preston & Child. They are like licorice sticks to me--not everyone likes them, but I just can't resist. What do you think of Connie taking a larger role?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like having Constance have a bigger role; she's such a complicated, unique character. (But I still miss Bill Smithbeck.)

      Delete
  2. I've not read any of these! Sounds like you've got the perfect vacation planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to take it easy and try to relax. (And, of course, read some fun books.)

      Delete
  3. Was it your first time reading Maya Angelou? I just realized that, while I know of some of her poems, I have never read any of her books. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time reading a full-length book by Angelou; like you, I've read some of her poems, and a lot of her quotes, but never any of her books.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a perfect spring break!

    Maya Angelou -- always inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided earlier this year that I needed to read more Maya Angelou. And what better time than for her birthday? :)

      Delete
  5. I have never read a book by Maya Angelou, so thank you for bringing her under my attention again.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of want to read some of her poems, now. Maybe my next trip to the library. :)

      Delete
  6. Maya Angelou is such a wise woman. I love reading anything she writes. Your time off sounds delightful! Reading books and baking are high on my list of favourite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too! It was the best week off. So relaxing and nice. I even managed to read 4 books. :)

      Delete