Monday, April 25, 2016

Lost Among the Living

"According to the official record, my husband had not died in the war. When there is a body, a grave, then a person has died. But no one ever tells you: When you have nothing but thin air, what happens then? Are you a widow, when there is nothing but a gaping hole in what used to be your life? Who are you exactly? For three years I had been trapped in amber--first in my fear and uncertainty, and then in a slow, chilling exhale of eventual inexorable grief."

England, 1921. Jo Mander's husband, Alex, was shot down over Germany in 1918. She now works for and lives with Alex's Aunt Dottie as a paid companion at Wych Elm House where Alex once lived as a boy. Jo hopes she'll feel closer to him there, but instead she finds herself haunted by Dottie's dead daughter, Frances. Jo hears footsteps in an empty hall; things in her room are mysteriously rearranged; and in the woods she hears the ghostly barking of a dog. It makes Jo wonder if she's losing her mind. Then there's the fact that Wych Elm House seems to be a house full of secrets and lies, and possibly a murderer. And Jo is right in the middle of it all.

What I love about Simone St. James' novels:

  • Her female characters, while often imperfect and flawed, are never spineless or stupid.
  • Her books are that perfect combination of mystery, romance, and ghostly suspense.
  • Rich prose.
  • Well-crafted plots that often have a surprising twist, or two at the end.
  • That eerie Gothic atmosphere.
Her latest novel, Lost Among the Living, does not disappoint. I loved the characters, and the mystery, and the quiet build-up of suspense; in fact, I loved every well-written page.

Happy Reading!

Other Simone St. James' novels that are must-reads:

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Her books sound amazing! I definitely need to check them out. Thanks!

    By the way, you won a copy of Alice in Bed from a giveaway I was hosting. If you could email me at frogs13 (@) gmail (dot com) - that would be great! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds great! I hadn't heard about it till now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simone St. James has become on of my all-time favorite authors.

      Delete
  3. This sounds fascinating! I'm very intrigued with the premise and oh that atmospheric setting! Will keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! I hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. I'm in for this one, and maybe some of her other novels as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all good. I think my favorite so far is An Inquiry Into Love and Death, but there isn't one I didn't love.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of this author, but based on your review, she's going on my "authors to try" list!

    ReplyDelete