Thursday, April 28, 2016

Find Her by Lisa Gardner

"Am I a vigilante? A self-destructive freak? How about a self-defense enthusiast? Maybe I'm all of those things. Maybe I'm none of those things. Maybe I'm a girl who once upon a time thought of the world as a shiny, happy place. And now...  I'm a girl who went missing too many years ago. And remained away from home and from herself for way too long."
 Kidnapped while on spring break, imprisoned in a pine box, and held for 472 days, Flora Dane is both a victim and a survivor. She's also not the girl she once was. Now in her late twenties, she's a girl who understands criminal behavior in ways she never imagined she would. She's a girl who's taken a thousand self-defense classes. She's also a girl who's reckless, completely empty inside, and more comfortable when she's alone. But when she's abducted again, she's going to need all her hard-earned skills in order to save herself.

This psychological thriller is gripping, irresistable, and a little terrifying. While I didn't always agree with Flora's choices, I ended up really liking her. She's tough and determined, but vulnerable, too. And as her story unfolds, both past and present, my respect and sympathy for her grew. I had a harder time warming up to the lead detective on Flora's case; at the start, D.D. Warren was a little too rigid for my liking, but her stubborn doggedness grew on me. And the mystery itself? Intense and completely unexpected. I could not put this book down. But you don't have to take my word for it. Check out  Nadia's compelling review... it's what made me want to read this book in the first place.

Happy Reading!

Similar reads:
     The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton
     What Doesn't Kill Her by Carla Norton


10 comments:

  1. Ooo! This sounds good!! Don't you just love when a review of a book just begs you to pick it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The only problem with amazing reviews is that the list of books that I want to read then grows to an infinite length. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so happy you liked this one. It really is such a good read! You described it perfectly! And I'm with you - D.D. Warren is hard to like at first ( I hated that she was on the case and then eventually I grew to like her).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this book! I'm so glad you read it and recommended it, or I would probably never have found it. So thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds right up my alley! Gotta add it to my wishlist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. I just finished The Body Reader about a woman held captive for 3 years. It must be a woman's worst nightmare--for herself or for those she loves, and we confront it in fiction. I really liked Catch Me by Gardiner and will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am busily scribbling down titles: The Body Reader and Catch Me. :) Thanks! This book by Gardner is really good; it's made me want to read more by her. A lot more. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds good, but also maybe a bit too intense for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you find her other titles as engrossing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This one did get a little tense, especially after she's abducted again. It's definitely a keep-you-up-all-night kind of book.

      Delete