Saturday, January 18, 2020

Blind Search by Paula Munier

Quick synopsis:  Mercy Carr and her Belgian Malinois, Elvis, are back! It's the beginning of hunting season in Vermont when Mercy and Elvis find the body of a murdered woman in the woods. She's been shot by an arrow at close range, and they think a nine-year-old boy named Henry witnessed her murder. Only Henry's not talking--he's autistic and prefers numbers to words or people. He likes Elvis and Susie Bear though. But with his dad suspected of murder and the police wondering what he may have seen, it's clear Henry is in danger. Troy Warner, a Vermont Fish & Wildlife Game Warden and Susie Bear's owner, and Mercy are determined to protect Henry, even if that means finding the killer themselves.

What I liked:

  • HENRY. With a penchant for Batman pajamas, prime numbers and playing his own version of Dungeons & Dragons, he's an easy character to love. I also loved how Elvis and Susie Bear are so protective of him, and how he was drawn to Mercy and Troy (who he named Paladin and Ranger).
  • MERCY & ELVIS. "Elvis lifted his head, nose nuzzling her thigh. Even so, Mercy felt alone. Whether this feeling was down to another sudden wave of grief over her fiance's death catching her unawares again or the insistent tug of attraction to a certain game warden, she wasn't sure. Elvis licked her hand and she smiled. As long as she had Elvis, she was never alone."
  • TROY & SUSIE BEAR. "Susie Bear was excited. All the way from the truck to the restaurant, she pranced in front of him. Despite her size, she was light on her feet. She stopped several times to enjoy the attentions of children and grown-ups alike. The dog's happy-go-lucky personality was a beacon, allowing Troy to shine in her light. He wasn't that good with people, but thanks to Susie Bear, most people never noticed."

My one complaint:  Mercy and Troy seemed to take a nice step forward in their relationship about halfway through the book, only to take two steps back at the end--a setback I found both frustrating and stupid. Here's hoping they resolve it quickly in the next book. 

Happy Reading!



Post script:
If you haven't read A Borrowing of Bones, Munier's previous novel about Mercy and Elvis, I'd recommend reading that one first. 


30 comments:

  1. I think the end would frustrate me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love A BORROWING OF BONES, but I think I'll read this sequel anyway. Glad you enjoyed it, even if the ending was frustrating! The author probably wants to string out the romance element over several books and has to invent reasons that it can't progress. I've seen that in other series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always bugs me when an author does it. I think that's why I liked Elliot's Mercy Kilpatrick series. She didn't feel a need to throw up phony roadblocks to her two characters' relationship.

      Delete
  3. That sounds really good but I understand why their relationship frustrated you. That would frustrate me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the author doesn't drag it for too long out before she fixes it, you know?

      Delete
  4. I'm interested in this series...because of the working dogs. :) Not sure about the humans, except for Henry. OK, Henry and the working dogs is enough to make me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry and the dogs make this book a 4-star read. And the humans are only dumb at the very end. :)

      Delete
  5. "Paladin and Ranger" how fun. That's too bad about the relationship setback though- hopefully that does get resolved in the next book. That can be definitely frustrating!

    Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry and the two dogs were definitely my favorite part! :)

      Delete
  6. I really need to check out this series. I'm a sucker for books featuring dogs. That's a bummer about the relationship, though. Hopefully it'll all get sorted out in the next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs in this series are so great. And I like the main characters, too. It was just that one irritating little thing at the end. :D

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a great series, even with two steps back in their relationship in the end. That can be frustrating. Especially when it's dumb. Hopefully it is resolved quickly in the beginning of the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the relationship between Mercy and Troy will frustrate me; but then again this sounds like a great series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good series. And the rest of the book is awesome. You'll love Henry and the dogs. :D

      Delete
  9. Hi Lark, I agree with Susan that maybe the author wants to put obstacles in the relationship of Mercy and Troy to keep the reader interested as the series progresses. But the danger is you can drag the will they won't they scenario out too far and the reader can end up losing interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking for one reader, I know I certainly didn't feel a need for any obstacles in their relationship. Mostly I just found the whole thing irritating. :)

      Delete
  10. I love Elvis and Susie Bear already from your descriptions above!

    As for your quibble, authors migh consider taking a page from J.D. Robb or Fay Kellerman (no doubt there are others too) and write a mystery series with a functioning and healthy relationship! It can be done. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be refreshing if all authors did that? I know I wouldn't mind. :)

      Delete
  11. This sounds like another great mystery series I'd enjoy. Maybe I'll wait until the next book is released before picking this one up, though. I don't like the sound of where the romance left off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of the book is awesome. And I'm hoping they get things fixed quickly in the next book. (Fingers crossed!)

      Delete
  12. I need to read both of these. Don't you hate it when you just want to smack two characters heads together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's what they both need...a smack in the head. ;D

      Delete
  13. Let us know what you think of "American Rebels." That one looks really promising.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no I hate it when that happens with characters. There's one series I've been reading forever and is kind of long, in which the same thing happened with the main characters. However, this sounds like a very good series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like everything about this serious...except for that one irritating romance setback. But hopefully the author will fix it in the next book. :)

      Delete