Friday, January 24, 2020

Space Adventure. Mystery. Compelling Suspense.

I could give you a lot of good reasons why I think you should read Admiral by Sean Danker, but instead I think I'll let this 5-star science fiction novel speak for itself:

"I was on a dead ship on an unknown planet with three trainees freshly graduated into the Imperial Service. I tried to look on the bright side. We were somewhere. That was a relief. It was better than floating with no power in space. Wherever this planet was, it raised our chances of rescue from zero to more than zero."

 "I had a feeling that decisions we made here and now were going to be significant with regard to our collective futures. It was a lot of pressure, knowing that it might be possible for us to get through this, but only if we did everything right, and in time. I was used to that kind of pressure. They weren't."

   "... playing dress-up was my specialty."



"There were two kinds of people in the universe: the people working for a better future and the rest of us. Time wasn't on anyone's side, and neither was regret. If I let a little PTSD and some bad memories slow me down now, what good was I?"

"Admiral, we're in trouble!"


 Happy Reading!

34 comments:

  1. Hi Lark This book sounds really good. What grabbed me was the narrative voice of the Admiral that you quoted. Marooned on a dead planet which means I guess no life forms, no vegetation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely no vegetation. But as for it having life? That remains to be seen. ;D

      Delete
  2. I read this in 2016 and loved it! I checked my review and smiled at my query: "Who the heck is the Admiral?" Thanks for reminding me, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a great character, isn't he? I really like him. Whoever he is. :D

      Delete
  3. The bits you quoted are intriguing! This Admiral has an interesting attitude and maybe a dark sense of humor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a dark sense of humor. Which just made me like him even more. :)

      Delete
  4. Ha! The first paragraph you quoted definitely caught me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that great? The writing and the narrative voice really drew me into the story fast on this one.

      Delete
  5. I'm not much for sci fi, but you've piqued my interest with this one. I just might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a ton of sci fi either. But this one is more character-driven than technology driven. So you might like it.

      Delete
  6. I don't read much sci-fi, but I usually enjoy it when I do. I'll check it out seeing it was a 5 star read for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't give a lot of books 5 stars but there was something about this one ... it totally drew me in. And when I was done, I wanted to read the second one and find out what happens next to this intriguing and compelling character.

      Delete
  7. I've been reading more sci fi lately so I'm always on the lookout for new ones. Thanks for sharing about this one! I'll have to check and see if my library has it. Sounds like a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read a lot of this genre but I like to watch movies of this type. It does sounds like it would be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Admiral is already on my wishlist. I really like the sound of this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember seeing this one a while back, and thought it looked good. The quotes make me definitely more interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might make my top ten books of 2020. It's that good. :)

      Delete
  11. That's a clever way to pique my interest about a book I was unaware of...another one on the TBR for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, this is new to me. I think I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book has been on my TBR for a while, I just needed a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of books like that on my TBR. :D

      Delete
  14. A 5-star read! Ok, so I rarely read sci-fi but this one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very character-driven, and since I loved the main character this one really worked for me. :)

      Delete