Monday, January 6, 2020

Urban Fantasy Fun...

Felix Castor, or Fix to his friends, is an exorcist. Of ghosts. A very handy skill to have since the dead in London started rising ten years ago.


"It's not as bleak as it sounds, because not everyone you lay in the earth comes back; there are a whole lot who are content to sleep it out. Most ghosts are tethered to the place where they died...but sometimes ghosts go walkabout, impelled by ... some unfinished business that won't let them lie quiet. ... (And) a close encounter with a ghost can be an upsetting experience. That's where exorcists come in--both the official church-sponsored ones, who are usually either idiots or fanatics, and the freelancers like me, who know what they're doing."

Only something went wrong a year and a half ago when Castor tried to help a friend, and he's been refusing all exorcist jobs ever since. Then the Bonnington Archive called needing to get rid of a ghost. Castor would have refused this job, too, except he really needs the money. So he reluctantly accepts. But things don't go as planned. And Felix soon finds himself investigating the employees of the archive hoping to discover the identiy of the ghost and how and why she died. That's when things really start to go wrong...and people start trying to kill him.

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey has all the makings of a really good urban fantasy series:  a London where ghosts and other undead creatures are known to roam, a complicated main character with layers and flaws to go along with his gift for necromancy, quirky secondary characters, and great writing. I enjoyed reading this one. I like Carey's take on ghosts and how Castor uses music to connect with and exorcise them. I like that there's potential for more demons, zombies, and loup garous to show up in future books. I like that Castor's complicated past continues to complicate his life now. And I look forward to seeing where this series goes next. If you like books that combine urban fantasy with mystery, you might want to check this one out.

Happy Reading!


32 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read and Felix seems like an interesting character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine it would be an upsetting experience to run across a ghost. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a fun read. Not scary at all, but some good magic here and there. :)

      Delete
  3. Great review Lark and a nice description of this book. From the passage you quote I think I would like Felix Castor a regular guy with some issues from his past who happens to be in the occult business. I like the fact that he narrates the story as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked his character and his voice! It kept the book from dragging.

      Delete
  4. I do love a mix of urban fantasy and mystery. I think I would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try and let me know what you think. :)

      Delete
  5. Not heard of this one but I do like the sound of it based on your thoughts! Happy new year toots xxx

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope 2020 brings you lots of good things, too. :D

      Delete
  6. This sounds really good! I'm always on the lookout for more Urban Fantasy. It's my favorite genre but I don't read nearly enough of it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to find really good urban fantasy series, but I liked this one and am excited to give the second book a try. Fingers crossed it's even better. :)

      Delete
  7. I own this on my Kindle and am glad to see such a great review. I need to pick it up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that it had a slightly different premise than a lot of other urban fantasy series, and I thought Fix was a great character. :)

      Delete
  8. Who you gonna call? LOL

    This sounds like the start of a promising series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It was a good start. Here's hoping the books that follow are just as good.

      Delete
  9. Ooh it doesn't pay to ask questions questions sometimes haha. Sounds fun! I know Mike Carey a little from his comics work but haven't read any of his book yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Questions can be dangerous! ;D The only other Carey book I've read is The Girl With All the Gifts. I liked that one, too.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like something I'd enjoy! Glad to hear you liked it, Lark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to find a new series to read. :)

      Delete
  11. Oooh, this sounds so good! I want to read all the books in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the series continues to work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how the second book goes.

      Delete
  13. I don't read a lot of urban fantasy but something about this one just makes me want to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I am so adding this to my TBR -- it sounds brilliant!

    ReplyDelete