Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Big Finish by Brooke Fossey

 
From the blurb:
"Meet Duffy, an old curmudgeon who lives in an assisted living home.

Meet Josie, a desperate young woman who climbs through his window.

Together, they’re going to learn it’s never too late—or too early—to change your ways.

For Duffy Sinclair, life boils down to one simple thing: maintaining his residence at the idyllic Centennial Assisted Living. Without it, he’s destined for the roach-infested nursing home down the road—and after wasting the first eighty-eight years of his life, he refuses to waste away for the rest. So, he keeps his shenanigans to the bare minimum with the help of his straight-laced best friend and roommate, Carl Upton.

But when Carl’s granddaughter Josie climbs through their bedroom window with booze on her breath and a black eye, Duffy’s faced with trouble that’s sticking around and hard to hide—from Centennial’s management and Josie’s toxic boyfriend. Before he knows it, he’s running a covert operation that includes hitchhiking and barhopping.

He might as well write himself a one-way ticket to the nursing home…or the morgue. Yet Duffy’s all in. Because thanks to an unlikely friendship that becomes fast family—his life doesn’t boil down the same anymore. Not when he finally has a chance to leave a legacy."


My thoughts:
I loved everything about this book: the humor, the writing, the characters, and the heart. Duffy Sinclair is one of the most likable curmudgeons ever written. And he's such an engaging narrator! His views of life in an assisted living home (don't call it a nursing home!) made me smile...and hope I never end up in one myself. He handles all the "joys" of old age--like when his water spills at dinner and he unsuccessfully tries to convince everyone he didn't just pee his pants--with sarcasm and snark. And a very big heart. The way he's willing to risk everything in order to help Josie get back on her feet only made me like him more. This funny yet poignant book is definitely one of my favorite reads so far this year.

Happy Reading!

32 comments:

  1. Sounds like a heartwarming and an uplifting story. Duffy seems like a great character and I like him already just reading your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you really enjoyed this one. It does sound like fun...especially the main character...but I'm wondering if I'm ready to read a novel set in an assisted living facility or nursing home (big difference between the two, he's right).

    Having spent countless hours in the complex my father lived in for 10 years before moving to his final stop at a nursing home, I ended up with mixed emotions about them. Good intentions can only soften the blow of what life there is like. The older I get, the more I wish I didn't already know so much about what living in them is really like for introverts and others who value their privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to wait to read this one; it might hit a little too close to home.

      Delete
  3. I love the cover, too. It does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun read! Something refreshing, although it does have notes of The Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out the window and disappeared.

    Your review was lovely!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that book, but if it's as good as this one then I want to. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Duffy sounds like a curmudgeon I could really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, that sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's both funny and sad. But oh so good. :)

      Delete
  7. I loved this book too. Duffy was such a great character. I adored him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't have even thought to pick this up prior to your review, but this sounds like a lot of fun! I'm off to see if they have a copy at my library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed because it really is a good book.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like such a fun and heartwarming read. I love reading about endearing curmudgeonly characters. They usually remind me of some of my family members, lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds awesome! I love the sound of his perspective too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Definitely one of my favorite reads so far this year.

      Delete
  12. Ooh yes, this looks to be the perfect feel good book to read next! 🤩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many good things about this book!

      Delete
  13. Oh this sounds like such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. It was a nice break from all the mysteries and suspense novels I usually read. :)

      Delete
  14. Duffy sounds like such a great character! I love the sound of this, Lark. I am adding it to my wish list. Thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. :)

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a great read. I recently read The Thursday Murder Club which has a number of senior citizen characters that are very much full of life, which I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thursday Murder Club is one I really want to read. The premise of it just sounds like so much fun. :)

      Delete