Saturday, April 10, 2021

Another classic...

 
I became acquainted with D.E. Stevenson a few years ago when I first read Miss Buncle's Book, a novel I absolutely love. So when I saw that my library had a copy of The Young Clementina, I knew I wanted to read it as my Classic by a Woman Author for this year's Back to the Classics Challenge. It was first published in 1938. And I'm very glad they republished it in 2013 because it's a charming novel.

Only it's not young Clementina's story. It's the story of Charlotte Dean, a country parson's daughter, and her younger sister, Kitty, and Garth Wisdon, the handsome and serious boy from the manor house on the hill. It's a story of love lost...and found again, of lies and betrayal, of quiet resignation, of family and friendship, forgiveness and hope, and second chances. 

I wasn't sure about this book when I first started reading it, but I ended up loving it. Unassuming and candid Char is someone I think I could be friends with; her story drew me in and kept me happily reading until the end. I know I haven't given you a full picture of what this novel is about, but what makes this book so good is the way the story unfolds on its own, revealing its hidden treasures one by one. And I didn't want to spoil that for anyone. Just know that The Young Clementina is well-written, and worth reading. And the ending brought happy tears to my eyes.

Happy Reading!

34 comments:

  1. I've got this one on my tbr pile, will move it closer to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would have this one on your TBR pile! We really do read alike. :D

      Delete
  2. The premise sounds interesting; and so do the characters. Will keep this book in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun. Although I did love Miss Buncle's Book a little bit more. So maybe start with that one. :D

      Delete
  3. Love this book although found it very sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did have some very sad moments, didn't it? At least the ending was happy and hopeful.

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of this one. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all those themes it explores this sounds like a good story! I haven't heard of it before but I'm definitely curious. That cover is quite dreamy isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great cover...though I'm not quite sure how it relates to the story. :)

      Delete
  6. That does sound interesting. I haven't read any D. E. Stevenson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson is one of my favorite books! It's so humorous and fun. This one's not quite as good, but I still enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  7. Im glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've enjoyed some of D.E. Stevenson's other books, including Miss Buncle's Book, so I would like to read this one too. It does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one. It's very different from Miss Buncle's Book, but still a good read. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm glad this turned out so well! That's always nice when a classic really connects like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Not all classics come close to doing that.

      Delete
  10. Such a pretty cover and nice to hear the story stood up so many decades after publication!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am glad to hear this was good! I've only read the first two Miss Buncle books but found them delightful. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delightful books, aren't they? I really like both Miss Buncle books. :D

      Delete
  12. oh Gosh, I've never heard of this title and this author -- and how lovely is the cover??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Stevenson either until I ran across a copy of her book Miss Buncle's Book. But I really like her writing.

      Delete
  13. ������������

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lark, I had never heard of D E Stevenson either so I looked her up and she was very prolific and also the reviews for Young Clementina are four and five stars which tells me its a novel worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very touching and well-written story. But if you get a chance, definitely read Miss Buncle's Book, too. It's wonderful. :)

      Delete
  15. I love it when publishers decide to republish books that have become obscure over the decades. I recently noticed, for instance, that a publisher called Brash Books is doing that for out-of-print mysteries, it seems mostly from the forties and fifties. Those decades were the peak of what we now called noir fiction, so I'm fascinated by what they may uncover for readers. I've just downloaded a title of theirs from 1959, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm going to have to see if I can get some of those re-printed mysteries, too. I love reading older books like that. :)

      Delete
  16. My mother-in-law gave me a copy of Miss Buncle's Book, but I haven't yet read it. I like the sound of this one too. I am glad you ended up really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in for a treat with Miss Buncle's Book! It's such a fun read. :)

      Delete
  17. I've not read anything by D. E. Stevenson but this sounds like a very moving story. And yay for an ending that left you with happy tears. Those are my favorite kinds of reads. :)

    ReplyDelete