Saturday, June 10, 2023

The Hard Parts by Oksana Masters

 
From the blurb:
"Oksana Masters was born in Ukraine—in the shadow of Chernobyl—seemingly with the world against her. She was born with one kidney, a partial stomach, six toes on each foot, webbed fingers, no right bicep, and no thumbs. Her left leg was six inches shorter than her right, and she was missing both tibias.

"Relinquished to the orphanage system by birth parents daunted by the staggering cost of what would be their child’s medical care, Oksana encountered numerous abuses, some horrifying. Salvation came at age seven when Gay Masters waged a two-year war against stubborn adoption authorities to rescue Oksana from her circumstances.

"In America, Oksana endured years of operations that included a double leg amputation. Determined to prove herself and fueled by a drive to succeed that still smoldered from childhood, Oksana triumphed in not just one sport but four—winning against the world’s best in elite rowing, biathlon, cross-country skiing, and road cycling competitions. Now considered one of the world’s top athletes, she is the recipient of seventeen Paralympic medals, the most of any US athlete of the Winter Games, Paralympic or Olympic.

"This is Oksana’s astonishing story of journeying through a series of dark tunnels—and how, with her mother’s love, she finally found her way into the light. Her message to anyone who doesn’t fit in: you can find a place where you excel—where you have worth."

My thoughts: 
Wow! This is one of the best books I've read this year. Oksana's story is both riveting and moving. I cried for her because of all the hard things she had to endure, and I cheered all of her breakthroughs and successes. She has such tenacity and grit and determination; I really admire her fire to win and her never-give-up attitude. 
"Ugly things happened to me. They. Are. Not. Me. No matter how ugly I feel, how much I hate my body, how much I hate my memories, I'm still worthy of love. Of a good life. This is what I wish everyone who's experienced physical or emotional  trauma could grasp: You are not the product of where you came from. You are not what happened to you...there's beauty in you."
 This amazing and emotional book is truly a memoir of courage and triumph! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Reading!

40 comments:

  1. OMG! I am daunted just reading about her! I think those of us born with healthy, normal bodies really have no way of understanding the challenges faced by those who are not so fortunate. But the unconquerable spirit overcomes all obstacles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading this book made me realize how blessed I am and how much I have to be grateful for: having been born healthy and in this country to a loving family. And Oksana really does have an unconquerable spirit! Her story is truly amazing.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an impressive young woman she is. I haven't seen this one anywhere else, Lark, so thanks for the review. It's definitely going on my list to come back to at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read it. It's so well written and so impactful! It's definitely going on my list of best reads of 2023 at the end of the year.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lark, What an amazing and courageous young woman. It's the first time I am hearing about Oksana and thank you for letting us know about her. I have so many books to read but this one needs to be at the top of the pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about having so many books to read already...but if you do get a chance to read this one take it! You won't be sorry. Her story is incredible.

      Delete
  4. Wow, my heart breaks for her, just with the brief blurb! This does sound like an incredibly moving story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart broke for her a lot through this book. But she has such grit and determination! She certainly never gives up. It's very inspiring.

      Delete
  5. Omg! This woman really had the deck stacked against her! I'm so happy someone took up for her and pushed to adopt her and give more advantages she wouldn't have had otherwise. What an inspirational story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very inspirational! Her motivation and push and resilience is so impressive. And this book is SO well written. Definitely one ot read.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What an inspiring story! She sounds like such a courageous and determined young woman. I don't read many memoirs, but I'm adding this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like this one! It's written so well, and her story is such an inspiring one.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. She's pretty incredible. Thanks for commenting. :D

      Delete
  8. Just the blurb was hard for me to read. I admire you for reading this book. Her mother was a wonderful person for rescuing her. Thanks for telling us about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved it, and I'm so glad I read it!

      Delete
  9. She sounds like such an incredible woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's amazing! I wish I had half her grit and tenacity.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It really is! I can't believe everything she went through or how she persevered through everything.

      Delete
  11. Wow, that sounds like quite the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an unforgettable one, and so compelling!

      Delete
  12. Wow what a story. I had not heard of her before so thx for the review. Were her birth defects from the radiation at Chernobyl? She sounds like an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were caused from the radiation from Chernobyl! but she has such an indomitable spirit...I really admire her.

      Delete
  13. This sounds like such a powerful read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe everything she goes through in this one. Her story is an amazing one.

      Delete
  14. Ooh, this does sound inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! It'll be on my favorites list at the end of the year for sure.

      Delete
  15. Wow. This sounds really interesting. Glad you loved and enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing story of struggle and triumph.

      Delete
  16. Wow, she sounds like an incredible woman! Definitely an inspiring book worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. If you're ever in the mood for a nonfiction read I recommend this memoir!

      Delete
  17. Wow, this sounds like an incredible read. Glad it was a winner for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oksana's story is so amazing. This book will definitely be on my list of favorite reads at the end of the year.

      Delete
  18. This sounds INCREDIBLE. I hadn't heard of it before, but now it's definitely going on my TBR list. Thanks for the heads-up. You always find the best books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a must-read kind of book! Everything about it is so powerful, and moving, and unforgettable.

      Delete
  19. Oh my goodness what she had to endure is awful but what an amazing story of hope and strength. I've never heard of her but she sounds like an incredible athlete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her determination and tenacity are inspiring.

      Delete