Wednesday, July 12, 2023

The Lonely Hearts Book Club by Lucy Gilmore

 
From the blurb:
"Sloane Parker lives a small, contained life as a librarian in her small, contained town. She never thinks of herself as lonely...but still she looks forward to that time every day when old curmudgeon Arthur McLachlan comes to browse the shelves and cheerfully insult her. Their sparring is such a highlight of Sloane's day that when Arthur doesn't show up one morning, she's instantly concerned. And then another day passes, and another.

"Anxious, Sloane tracks the old man down only to discover him all but bedridden...and desperately struggling to hide how happy he is to see her. Wanting to bring more cheer into Arthur's gloomy life, Sloane creates an impromptu book club. Slowly, the lonely misfits of their sleepy town begin to find each other, and in their book club, find the joy of unlikely friendship. Because as it turns out, everyone has a special book in their heart—and a reason to get lost (and eventually found) within the pages."

My thoughts:
This book is aptly named. The five members of Sloane's and Arthur's book club are all experiencing loneliness in their lives, although most would never admit it out loud. As they share books and food together they find more than friendship, they find family. And that's what I loved so much about this one. All their awkward interactions, humorous banter, personal struggles, and honest caring about Arthur and each other, tugged at my heart. The books they read together, and the importance each of the novels plays in each character's life, made me love this book even more. It's a poignant, captivating and heart-warming novel. And another one for Susan's Bookish Books Reading Challenge.   ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Reading!

44 comments:

  1. Oh my heart -- I love this, love the book club bringing them all together <3 (Verushka at Pop. Edit. Lit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved this one, too. It has all the feels. :D

      Delete
  2. This sounds so sweet! Thanks for sharing -- I need to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have greatly enjoyed Lucy Gilmore's books and this one is now on my reading list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely worth checking out. It's a book that'll make you smile. :D

      Delete
  4. I love the found family aspect. See a lonely person find their "people" is always a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there were so many lonely people in this one; I love how they found each other.

      Delete
  5. It's nice to have reading companions, like a book club, as long as you enjoy the same type of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their book club moments made me laugh, because they did not all read alike at the beginning.

      Delete
  6. Oh that sounds like a sweet one. So glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very heartwarming and charming book.

      Delete
  7. Well, you got me again. I don't know the author...but a book about libraries and book clubs can always get at least a long look from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the two things that made me want to read this one. And I liked how Sloane and Arthur sparred over books and life. He's such a fun curmudgeon.

      Delete
  8. Yay, it sounds good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a heartwarming and humorous bookish book. :D

      Delete
  9. Oh this sounds like such a great, heartwarming story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked how all these different characters came together through books and found friendship and family.

      Delete
  10. Wait, I've assumed I knew this book form your review, LOL... maybe because you're doing the bookish book challenge. This is already on the top of my TBR. I might read it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to, it's just a make-you-smile kind of book.

      Delete
  11. I almost bought this the other day - I guess I was in too curmudgeonly a mood to want a feel-good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;D Well, if you're ever in the mood for it, I recommend it.

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a good book, I will have to get a copy. I have put in on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a chance to read it soon. :D

      Delete
  13. I love how these people together helped fill that loneliness each struggled with. So happy to see you loved this one too, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That found family trope is a favorite of mine, especially when it's done as well as in this book. :D

      Delete
  14. Love the sound of this! Will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy this one, Cath. :D

      Delete
  15. Awww, this one sounds relaly sweet. I'll have to check it out. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that it wasn't just a romance story, but more of a story about friends becoming family through books.

      Delete
  16. This sounds like such a heartwarming read. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like such a lovely, heartwarming read. I've been seeing the cover everywhere but hadn't come across any reviews yet, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun read. And a heartwarming one, too. I think you'd like it.

      Delete
  18. It sounds really good and getting to know the different members of the lonely hearts club would be interesting. Each would have a different reason about why they are so isolated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a fun mix of characters. Though Sloane and Arthur's grandson were my two favorites.

      Delete
  19. Perfect timing! I was just looking at this book at my library but wasn't sure about it. This sounds just the kind of book I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are fun; I liked how they came together.

      Delete
  20. Sounds like a heartwarming read; not to mention a character-driven one, too. Also love it that it has a bookish theme to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have this one on my tbr so I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The friendships they built over the course of this book were so great. I love that found family trope.

      Delete