Sunday, April 28, 2024

Holmes on the Range by Steven Hockensmith

 "Damn it, brother," I said. "You're a cowboy, not a detective."


1893, Montana.

Two red-headed cowboys:  Gustav Amlingmeyer (Old Red) and Otto Amlingmeyer (Big Red); both have a penchant for the stories of Sherlock Holmes, though it's Gustav who loves them best. But he can't read, so it's up to Otto to read them out loud to him. 

The Bar VR:  An isolated cattle ranch owned by an English Duke, but run by Uly McPherson, a man with a reputation for being hard-nosed, unethical, and violent.

There's something crooked going on at the Bar VR where Old Red and his brother have hired on to work. And when one murder is followed by a second, Old Red is determined to figure out what's going on. He even makes a bet with the Duke that he can 'deducify' the truth. 

"Some folks get religion. Gustav got Sherlock Holmes."

My thoughts:
I loved the blend of western and mystery in this book. Hockensmith's prose is clever and engaging. And Old Red (who's not really all that old), with his sharp eyes and keen deductive skills, is a great character. I really liked him and his younger brother, Big Red, who narrates the story with charm and humor. I enjoyed all the action, and I always love that Old West setting. This was a very fun read. I'm looking forward to reading Gustav's and Otto's next adventure which I think takes place aboard a train. 

Happy Reading! 


28 comments:

  1. Wasn't this one fun? I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan from way back and really enjoy all the weird takes on the character that other authors have used to write standalones and series of their own, but this one impressed me with its blend of great characters, a nice mystery, and humor. It's the only one in the series I've read, but I think that most, if not all, of the rest of the series is included in Kindle Unlimited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO much fun! I love these two characters. And who can resist a cowboy detective? I thought Hockensmith really captured the feel of the time period, too.

      Delete
  2. I have heard very good things about Holmes On The Range. And a mystery series set in the old west can provide great plot ideas and can also introduce mystery and Sherlock Holmes fans to westerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun. I really enjoyed that combination of western and mystery. There's good humor in it, too. :D

      Delete
  3. This does sound like a fun mystery! I enjoy old Westerns as well. I'll look into this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hockensmith really captures that Old West setting well, especially with the way his characters speak.

      Delete
  4. Love a western. Thanks for recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I look forward to reading the next book.

      Delete
  6. Two redheaded cowboys who love Sherlock Holmes! I'm going to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read it. I really enjoyed it. :D

      Delete
  7. This sounds like so much fun! Great review, Lark! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part mystery, part western, and a whole lot of fun. :D

      Delete
  8. Adding to my list.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fun read - I like the mix of Old West and Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Red and Big Red are two very likable and funny characters. :D

      Delete
  10. I love this series, and Steve is so much fun to talk with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you met him? Because that's pretty cool. :D

      Delete
  11. This book sounds super fun! I'd never heard of it before. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this one...the two cowboy brothers and their attempt to be Sherlock Holmes-type detectives. It was so fun.

      Delete