Monday, December 12, 2022

The Dragon's Promise by Elizabeth Lim

 "A promise is a promise. Not a kiss in the wind, to be thrown about without care. It is a piece of yourself that is given away and will not return until your pledge is fulfilled."
 
Plot summary:  Princess Shiori promised her stepmother that she would return a cursed dragon pearl to its owner. That promise takes her first to Ai'long, the underwater court of the sea dragons. But they want the pearl for themselves. As do the demons threatening Kiata, Shiori's homeland. So Shiori, her six brothers, and her betrothed, Takkan, must journey even farther from home to return the pearl and to find a way to defeat the demons. It's a journey that will take all of Shiori's forbidden magic, and might even cost her her life. 

My thoughts:  I read the first book in this young adult fantasy duology, Six Crimson Cranes, back in March with Melody (@ Melody's Reading Corner). And we've both been looking forward to reading this sequel ever since. Shiori's such a fun character: stubborn and determined, fiesty and fearless. And she never gives up on her quest. 

In The Dragon's Promise, Shiori has to conquer many different enemies, including the scary demon king Bandur, and survive many dangers, including attempts by people in her own homeland to kill her. Which means that this novel has a LOT of action in it. At times it felt like the author was trying to combine too many different threads in one book. All those different threats and dangers got a little convoluted, especially at the end. Poor Shiori never had time to even catch her breath. But I was rooting for her and Takkan all the way. I really love the two of them together; they're my favorite part of this novel. There's a fairy tale quality to this book that I also liked. All the magic, and the curious legends from the sea dragons and their promises, to the magical red thread that connects Shiori to Takkan, to Shiori being a bloodsake whose magic can loose the trapped demons, to the Lady of the Moon herself, added to the fun. Despite its flaws, this turned out to be a magical and entertaining adventure. And I'm very glad that I got to read it with Melody. Be sure to check out her review.

Happy Reading!


Melody's questions to me...and my answers:

Q. Among all the characters, who do you wish the author should explore more and why?
A. I'd love to get to know more about Shiori's brothers, especially her youngest brother who ends this story with one of his arms still a crane's wing; and I hope Lim writes a abook about Elang because I'd love to see him be able to resolve his half-dragon/half-human dilemma and get a happy ending. 

Q. What do you think is the strength and weakness of this story?
A. For me, the strength is in Shiori's relationships...with her friend, Seryu; with her six brothers; and with Takkan, the man she loves. Those are my favorite moments in this book. The weakness in this story is that the author tried to do too much...between the conflict with the dragons, and then the demons, and everything else going on around Shiori it's just too much for one book. 

30 comments:

  1. Great review, Lark! I'd so much fun reading/discussing this duology with you. I think our next one will be equally fun, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our next one will be a lot of fun, too. At least I hope so! ;D

      Delete
  2. I am loving that cover! I agree with you that too much action can detract from a story, but I'm glad thee was enough to make this a great read for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because I liked the two main characters so much! :D

      Delete
  3. I need to read Six Crimson Cranes. It has been on my TBR since it was released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six Crimson Cranes is a good one. I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  4. This does sound like a very lush read in terms of the fantastic elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magical elements were very cool and fun. :D

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed the story even if the author was a little ambitious with trying to incorporate so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like she was trying to fit two stories into one.

      Delete
  6. I am glad you and Melody will continue with your buddy reads in the new year. I enjoy reading both of your thoughts on the books you share. I really hope to read this duology someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun one, and a good change from the mystery/suspense books I usually read. It's one of the reasons I enjoy doing buddy read with Melody; she's always introducing me to new books that I probably wouldn't find on my own.

      Delete
  7. I don't think this one would be for me, but it is great that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad this next book in this series worked for you, and you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as good as the first one, but it was fun. And I loved Takkan's and Shiori's story together.

      Delete
  9. This sounds really good, and I LOVE that cover. I'm glad you enjoyed it despite the author cramming too much into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say, there're are some really great books around for young adults these days. My own daughters (both now in their 40s) would've killed for some of them. Me too, come to that, back in the 1960s. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Although I did have lots of good girl/horse books to read growing up, so I can't really complain. ;D

      Delete
  11. I have read a few books that had too much action but this sounds like a duology that would be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought both books were fun to read. And I loved Takkan and Shiori. :D

      Delete
  12. Great review! My daughter liked this one, but not as much as she loved Six Crimson Crows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the two, Six Crimson Cranes is definitely the better book.

      Delete
  13. I don't read a lot of YA but this does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a lot of YA books any more either. But I did enjoy this duology.

      Delete
  14. Sometimes the fast moving ones really make my head spin, but I'm glad you could hang with the pace and cheer her on with her quest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did feel a little lost in all the action at times, but the characters pulled me through.

      Delete