Friday, April 21, 2023

A Venom Dark and Sweet by Judy I. Lin

Brief summary:  The Banished Prince has seized the throne forcing the Imperial Princess Zhen to flee the capital along with her bodyguard, Ruyi, and Ning, who's been falsely accused of poisoning the emperor. Along with Ning's little sister, Shu, these four young women travel the length of the realm in search of some allies to help restore the princess to her throne.

Back in the capital, Kang watches his father and Chancellor Zhou take control, acting with merciless cruelty to anyone who stands in their way. Kang doesn't agree with his father's tactics, but he doesn't know how to oppose both him and the chancellor. To make matters worse, a shadowy serpent with ancient and evil magic has been loosed. And the serpent wants to consume all the inhabitants of Daxi.

My thoughts:  Melody and I both loved A Magic Steeped in Poison, so we were very excited to read this sequel to it, but this book is sadly not nearly as good as the first one. There's a lot of watching, waiting, and traveling in the first half of the book without much action or anything else to move the plot forward. I found all the court politics and the long descriptions of all the different places pretty boring. Ning and Kang don't even meet up again until 180 pages into the story. Their interactions and all of Ning's tea magic was what I enjoyed most about the first book, but there's just not enough of that in this one. 

And some of the most important plot points concerning the serpent and the magical relics needed to defeat him weren't even mentioned until the very end. This book just wasn't as well-plotted as the first. I still liked Ning and Kang, and I thought several other characters were fun. And the ending was more exciting than the beginning. But overall, I was pretty disappointed with this one. To see what Melody thought, be sure to check out her review.

Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. Great review, Lark! I was hoping that this second book would be so much more exciting. Still, I loved the author's idea of this duology so hopefully her next book (or series?) will be better and maybe we can read it together for our buddy read. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the tea magic and her characters...it's sad this one wasn't better. But I'm glad we got to read it together. :D

      Delete
  2. Too bad this one didn't measure up to the first in the duology. Nice, honest review, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad; the first book was so fun to read.

      Delete
  3. It's always such a bummer when the sequel doesn't live up to the first one. Great review, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bummer. I was hoping for something so much better.

      Delete
  4. It's such a let-down when a sequel you've been looking forward to is really disappointing. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a letdown! If I hadn't been reading it with Melody I probably would have DNFed it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous cover! It looks like a piece of artwork.

      Delete
  6. Aw, that's a shame. Hopefully the third one picks up the pace. It does have a beautiful cover, and I love the ideas of tea magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea magic was what drew me in with the first book. It's very unique and fun.

      Delete
  7. Oh this does sound disappointing! The tea magic premise is so interesting and the first book sounds wonderful. Too bad this one did not live up to those promises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I wish there'd been more use of the tea magic in this one...there were some really good scenes with it, just not enough.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Me, too. But you can't win them all, right?

      Delete
  9. This series is still on my TBR, but I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one as much as the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one is definitely the better book...and worth reading!

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear this one did not live up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete