Thursday, April 27, 2023

The Quarry Girls by Jess Lourey

 "That summer, the summer of '77, everything had edges. Our laughter, the sideways glances we gave and got. Even the air was blade-sharp. I figured it was because we were growing up. The law might not recognize it, but fifteen's a girl and sixteen a woman, and you get no map from one land to the next. ... But it turns out the sharpness wasn't because we were growing up. Or it wasn't only that. I know, because three of us didn't get to grow up."

 The plot:  Heather, Brenda, and Maureen are best friends. They're even in a band together. But their friendship is beginning to fray because Maureen is keeping secrets. When Heather and Brenda chance upon one of them, it's so shocking they vow they'll never tell what they saw. Then Maureen disappears, the second girl in Pantown to disappear in a week. Only no one seems to be looking for either Maureen or Beth. And while Heather and Brenda didn't really know Beth, they're sure Maureen didn't run away. When Heather starts investigating on her own, she uncovers more secrets than she ever knew existed about the men in Pantown. Including the sheriff and her very own father. Even the boys she's known her whole life can no longer be trusted.  

My thoughts:  Wow! Talk about a riveting read. This novel is part coming-of-age, part psychological thriller, and I could not put it down. Lourey does an excellent job of capturing that 1970s setting, along with creating an undercurrent of danger directed at these young women. After a few mediocre books in a row, it was a relief to read something so well-written and well-plotted. I loved it! This is one of the best books I've read this year. And I will definitely be checking out more by this author. 

Happy Reading! 

29 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this, Lark! Off to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to say, this is Cath from Read_warbler, I've just changed my pc and - XP to Windows11 - and I'm still finding my way around passwords and logins and so forth. :-)

      Delete
    2. I hate changing anything with my computer...it always takes me weeks...or months! ...to figure everything out. Technology is not my friend. ;D

      Delete
  2. High praise indeed. This one obviously hit all the marks for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did. And maybe it's because the last few books I read weren't that great, but I loved Lourey's writing.

      Delete
  3. Oh that does sound good. I like a good psychological thriller so this sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good pyschological thriller! And it's been awhile since I've read one this good.

      Delete
  4. Wow, sounds great. And the 70's setting. I was just thinking recently how different that era was. In some ways not but in some ways SO different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she captures that 70s feel so well! It brought back some happy childhood memories for me. :D

      Delete
  5. This sounds great! Love the quote. This is another one I'll have to add to my list. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the way Lourey writes. I definitely want to read her other books now.

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely intrigued by the premise of this one. Glad it was an unputdownable book for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. I got very caught up in the characters and the mystery.

      Delete
  7. This is good news indeed, since I have this book waiting patiently for me on my Kindle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay! I think you're going to like it.

      Delete
  8. This sounds good and I like that it's set in the 70s. I love a thriller and this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really captures that 70s setting well. And her reasons for writing this book--which she tells at the very beginning--added layers of authenticity to this book.

      Delete
  9. Excellent review, Lark. Just the synopsis at the beginning draws you in!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spooky. Ole Pantown might not be an innocent place after all! Glad it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of things going on in Pantown, that's for sure. :D

      Delete
  11. Oooo, I will add this novel to my wishlist. I've read a couple of books by Jess Lourey in the past and enjoyed them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first book by her that I've read, but it won't be my last!

      Delete
  12. Oh hello new author and book I am right now addng to my Audible TBR! High praise that it's one of the best books of the year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so well-written! And the tension she creates is so good.

      Delete
  13. Sounds right up my alley! And all the more if it's one of the best books you read this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was so well done. I loved it.

      Delete
  14. It's such a great feeling to read a really good book after a few mediocre ones. I'm glad this was such a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like a breath of fresh spring air! :D

      Delete