Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Starflight by Melissa Landers

 
A job and a new life await Solara Brooks on Vega, a newly terra-formed planet in the lawless outer realm. But first she has to get there. Which means indenturing herself in exchange for her passage. Too bad the only taker is Doran Spaulding, the handsome, entitled heir to the galaxy's largest fuel corporation...and the guy who made her life hell in school. 

When Doran threatens to renege on their deal and leave her stranded on some outpost, she stuns him, kidnaps him, and uses his money to gain passage on a rundown spaceship called the Banshee. This time he's her servant. 

Their journey gets even more complicated when Doran is framed and suddenly finds himself the galaxy's most wanted felon, while space pirates try to force Solara into an unwanted marriage for her mechanical skills. Solara and Doran must rely on each other, and on the eccentric crew of the Banshee, if they ever hope to win their freedom.

My thoughts:  Starflight is a rollicking YA science fiction adventure with lots of action and humor. There's an excellent twist towards the end, too. I had so much fun reading this one! It doesn't feel like a YA book full of teen angst and drama. The world-building is great and the characters are well-drawn. I really enjoyed how Solara and Doran start off as enemies, always sniping at each other, then gradually come to trust one another as friends...and more. Their relationship, and wanting to know what will happen between their two shipmates, Cassia and Kane, has me eager to read the sequel. 

Happy Reading!

24 comments:

  1. Never heard of this author before and I love the sound of this sci-fi novel so will go and look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! The characters made me laugh, and it doesn't bog down with too much science. It's just fun.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I've seen this book around, but I didn't know anything about it. It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in the mood for a fun science fiction adventure and this hit the spot. :D

      Delete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! Adding it to my wishlist now! Great review, Lark! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you would like this one, Ashley! It's just a fun science fiction adventure.

      Delete
  4. I remember when this one released several years ago and I saw so many raves about it. I'm glad it was such a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a fun read with lots of humor and action...and a little romance, too. It was just what I needed. :D

      Delete
  5. As I was reading the description I wouldn't have thought it was YA. I typically don't read a lot of YA but the premise for this one sounds like it has a lot of potential! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't feel like a YA novel at all! It felt like a regular, fast-paced and fun science fiction adventure.

      Delete
  6. This sounds fun. I could see myself reading this one even though I am not a fan of scifi stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are easy to relate to and like and it reads fast...and there's a fun little romance in it, too. :D

      Delete
  7. Ha! Well she sure turned the tides on him, didn't she. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that she made him act as her servant for awhile. ;D

      Delete
  8. I'm definitely curious about this one now. Thanks for mentioning it's YA science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of this one, but it does sound good. Especially if there's none of the usual YA angst! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't, just a fun enemies to friends to more story, but set in space.

      Delete
  10. This sounds interesting! Not really a sci-fi fan but the premise sounds good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the characters in this one.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It's a very fun science fiction adventure...without too much hard science in it.

      Delete