Saturday, August 26, 2023

The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley by Courtney Walsh

 "The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you."  --Ritu Ghatourey
 


Things to know about Isadora:
  • She's super smart.
  • She works as a university researcher.
  • She's also an introvert...and a bit socially awkward.
  • Her last boyfriend broke her trust...and her heart.
  • She doesn't have many friends.
  • She's lonely.
  • And she just turned 30.

A random magazine article titled "Thirty-One Ways to Be Happy" inspires Isadora to conduct her own personal research project and try out each item on the list to see if they really result in that promised happiness. She's sure she'll end up disproving the entire article, justifying her own unhappiness. And at first, nothing she tries makes her feel any different. Especially not those yoga classes! But then some new people enter life, including her 10-year-old neighbor, Delilah, and Cal, the new (and handsome!) psychology professor at work. As her experiment continues, her quiet, lonely life starts to change for the better. Is it possible the magazine article was right and she's found happiness after all?

I loved this book! Isadora's journey of self-discovery was both poignant and humorous. There were times her past heartaches and self-doubt made me cry. But the way her boisterous neighbor barged into her life totally made me laugh. And Cal's cute flirting, kind compassion, and unwavering support of Isadora made me like him so much. This is a very charming and heartwarming romance! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Reading!


42 comments:

  1. I absolutely 'love' the sound of this! I see it's new out and a bit pricey so I'll wait for it to come down and then grab it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cath! How are you doing? And yeah, don't pay full price for it if you don't have to, though it is a very fun journey of self-discovery with a cute romance, too. :D

      Delete
    2. Ok, Peter's leg continues to be problematic but it's getting close attention from the medical people so hopefully all will be well. I will.definitely get the book at some stage! 😀

      Delete
  2. Molto carina la copertina di questo libro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really excited for this book and your review has me even more eager to read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love this one, Ashley! :D

      Delete
  4. Isadora sounds like a great character. And I love that quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote, too. And it's fun to see it play out in this book. All the small things that led to her happiness.

      Delete
  5. Oh this does sound like wonderful read. I bet many of us can relate to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of her inner struggles and failures made her very relatable!

      Delete
  6. That description of age 30 sounds familiar, ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me chuckle to see her struggle with turning 30. Waiti until she reaches 40, or 50! ;D

      Delete
  7. This does sound fun & I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is great...and the story is even better. I really enjoyed this one. :D

      Delete
  8. A very interesting concept for a novel and I am curious about what the 31 ways to be happy are. And what I like about the novel is that romance is included but it's not the whole point of the book. Isadora has other things she needs to achieve for herself and it looks like she did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the 31 ways were simple and a little obvious, but it was funny to see Isadora trying to implement them all. She even struggled with the first one: smile more. :D

      Delete
  9. Good review, Lark. It's not my genre, I don't think, but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun - and inspirational - for the right office. The cover reminds me of so many I've seen lately that I wonder if it's part of the latest "hot' look in book covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think covers are trending this way right now, especially in contemporary romance books.

      Delete
  10. I am glad you enjoyed it! Great review. I just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney Walsh has become a favorite author; I really lover her books. :D

      Delete
  11. This sounds like an excellent read for these hot summer days. (104 degrees today.) I'm adding it to my reading list. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry it's so hot where you are! Anything above 100 is miserable imo.

      Delete
  12. I have this one and now I want to move it up seeing your thoughts! Love the sound of Cal. And it'll count toward the Bookish Challenge. Double win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book is on my tbr so I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed it. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was so fun! I loved Isadora. :D

      Delete
  14. It sounds like a heartwarming and relatable story with a mix of humor and emotion. Isadora's journey of self-discovery, coupled with the introduction of new characters like Delilah and Cal, seems like a delightful ride. It's always wonderful to come across books that can make you both cry and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how the other characters she met became a found family for her.

      Delete
  15. Adding to my TBR which may topple over any day! Isadora Bentley sounds like an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is. And this is a very humorous and heartwarming story. (And I know what you mean about that TBR pile/list! Mine's forever long.)

      Delete
  16. Oh this sounds really good! I especially like that it's a romance but with a smart heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is smart; she's also vulnerable and funny and so likable.

      Delete
  17. This sounds really good. I think I would like spending time with Isadora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked her...and could really relate to some of her personal struggles, too. :D

      Delete
  18. This just sounds so heartwarming -- genuinely sweet <3

    ReplyDelete