Saturday, May 4, 2024

Ghost Station by S.A. Barnes

 

An abandoned planet.

An isolated crew.

Dark secrets.

Looming madness.

And unsettling horror.



My thoughts:  I don't even know how to begin to summarize this one without giving away any spoilers, so I'm not even going to try. I think it's best to just let this story unfold on its own. What I will say is that Barnes has once again written a very compelling and suspenseful science fiction novel with hints of mystery and horror in it. Her main character, Dr. Ophelia Bray, comes from a very prominent and rich family who have practically disowned her; she has some demons and secrets from her own traumatic childhood that make her a sympathetic character. I also loved the impending sense of doom that Barnes creates as the six-person team starts to explore the abandoned planetary station, and strange things start to happen to them. She keeps you guessing about the truth of it all right to the end. This one's creepy and atmospheric and it reads fast. An entertaining summer read (even though it's not quite summer yet). I gave it 4 stars.

Happy Reading! 


Previous S.A. Barnes' novel:  Dead Silence



30 comments:

  1. Ghost Station was on my list, but now I will add Dead Silence. I love science fiction, but have never read Barnes. Thanks, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got Dead Silence! Will have to wait on Ghost Station.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed Dead Silence. It's creepy and suspenseful, with flawed but likable characters.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed all of Barnes' books that I've read and this one sounds like another winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dorothy! If you like her previous books, then you should really like this one, too.

      Delete
  3. Ghost Station sounds intriguing. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to this one! Great review, Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun and suspenseful science fiction adventure. :D

      Delete
  5. Oh, sounds like something I'd love! Do you need to read the previous book first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not need to read the previous book first. They are both standalones. :D

      Delete
  6. While not for me, I am glad you enjoyed it :) I had read a few reviews for the book I am currently reading and I got so many spoilers I wasn't sure I wanted to read it. I am about halfway through and still not sure I want to finish it. Thank you for being careful not to give spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoilers are the worst. It's tricky sometimes finding that line between giving enough of a plot summary and giving too much. I tend to go with the less is more approach. ;D

      Delete
    2. Lark, it's the best way to go!

      Delete
  7. I think I would like this one. I love movies with this sort of feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! And this would make a fun movie.

      Delete
  8. I'm not much for sci fi, but I'm really tempted by this one. It's been getting so much buzz that I'm super curious. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that there's a touch of horror in Barnes's science fiction novels. Made the atmosphere and suspense even better.

      Delete
  9. Why is this perfect timing? I've been adding books to my list for an upcoming spec-fic dissertation, and this seems to hit every qualification I've got!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can struggle with sci-fi, but the combination of a mystery just might work for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked how atmospheric this one is and that creeping sense of dread. It made for a fun read.

      Delete
  11. Barnes can be a lot of fun. Glad you liked these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. There both what I would call entertaining popcorn reads. :D

      Delete
  12. I love finding a new science fiction author to try. I am not so sure about horror along with it though. Since this just came out, I will wait a while, then try to find a copy to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be around for awhile so there's definitely no need to rush. And I would classify it as horror-lite. It's not super scary or very graphic. But it is a tense read.

      Delete
  13. I can't wait to read this one! I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the second good review for Ghost Station. It's a bit more scifi than I usually read but it sounds really fun and like one I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very atmospheric and suspenseful, which I liked.

      Delete